Link to printer-friendly page

Record details

ID:MHG22633
Type of record:Monument
Name:The Shieling, Strathpeffer
Feedback:

Images

Highland Home Industries, 1900-1910, Photograph by T. Wellwood Maxwell © Margaret Spark (photo by Margaret Spark)  © Margaret SparkThe Shieling and east side of the Strathpeffer Square shops, 1900-1910. Photograph by T. Wellwood Maxwell © Margaret Spark (photo by Margaret Spark)  © Margaret SparkThe Shieling, Strathpeffer (photo by Andrew Taylor)  © Andrew Taylor

Reports

Strathpeffer businesses  © Duncan Finlayson (File size: 133 KB)
Grid Reference:NH 4838 5823
Map Sheet:NH45NE
Civil Parish:FODDERTY
Geographical Area:ROSS AND CROMARTY

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Other References/Statuses

  • Historic Environment Record: MHG22633
  • NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 109024
  • NMRS Record Details: NH45NE128 STRATHPEFFER, THE SHIELING
  • Old SMR Reference Number: NH45NE0165

Full description

This building is described as ‘clad in vertical half-round poles dark stained and with a slated and piended roof over’ (Murray 1985). A semi-circular building is present on the OS 2nd edition map (1906). In a photograph by Mr Wellwood Maxwell, c. 1900, in the possession of Mrs M. Spark, the sign above the door reads ‘Castle Leod Well and [in much larger letters] Lady Cromartie’s Well’. On the OS 1st edition map (1876), this area is depicted as garden ground, apparently associated with Clisham (MHG22692). Though there are wells in the vicinity on the 1876 map (one at the south east corner of the plot belonging to the Strathpeffer Hotel, with another close to where the boundary between Craigvar (then Park House, MHG16224) and Mackay’s Hotel (MHG22732) meets the road, on the 1906 map a well is marked under The Shieling. At some time after 1906, The Shieling became a shop - and also housed a lending library. In Miss Sarah McKeon’s time, from the 1920s-1940s, it sold good quality fancy goods; Miss McKeon was Irish and a staunch Roman Catholic, hence the Gaelic name, Tigh Mile Annas (‘house of the hundred thousand welcomes’). Much of the fancy work, such as lace, which Miss McKeon sold, was made in convents. She lived for a period in part of the bungalow in the grounds of Holly Lodge (MHG16410) while the Finlaysons were there, and latterly in rooms or room at Hope’s Hotel. Mrs Littlejohn, who followed Miss McKeon, sold tweeds and other woollen goods. Mrs Littlejohn was followed by Mrs Cherret.
This building should not be confused with the now-destroyed Shieling at NH 48496 58395
The Shieling is currently unused and is for sale (2011).

Information from Duncan Finlayson; Margaret Newton;Fiona Newton;Margaret Spark, ARCH Remembering Strathpeffer Project

Murray, D., 1985. Victorian Strathpeffer. A walk around this unique highland village. Inverness <1>


Taylor, A, 02/2010, A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25366.


<1> Various, Remembering Strathpeffer, Site 11 (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25338.

Related Monument/Building records - none

Related Investigations - none

Related thematic articles

Related documents/files/web pages

Monuments/Buildings
Investigations
Conservation Areas
Listed Buildings
Scheduled Ancient Monuments
Designed Landscapes
Registered Battlefields
Marine Protected Areas