Link to printer-friendly page

Record details

ID:MHG10147
Type of record:Monument
Name:Helmsdale Bridge
Feedback:

Images

© Please contact Highland Council for detailsOld Council listed building record (for up to date description see link to Historic Scotland's website)  © Highland CouncilSouth facing elevation of bridge (photo by Andrew Puls)  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSouth facing elevation of bridge (photo by Andrew Puls)  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsNorth facing elevation of bridge with Icehouse and Helmsdale War Memorial in background (photo by Andrew Puls)  © Please contact Highland Council for details
Grid Reference:ND 0259 1538
Map Sheet:ND01NW
Geographical Area:SUTHERLAND

Monument Types

  • ARCH BRIDGE (Built, 19th Century - 1809 AD to 1811 AD (between))
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 4026: Helmsdale Bridge; Listed Building (A) 7193: Helmsdale Bridge Over River Helmsdale

Other References/Statuses

  • Historic Environment Record: MHG10147
  • NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 7477
  • NMRS Record Details: ND01NW59 HELMSDALE, HELMSDALE BRIDGE
  • Non-Statutory Register (V)
  • Old SMR Reference Number: ND01NW0030

Full description

Photo - HAW 11/2002

ND01NW 59 0260 1538.
For (successor and present) Helmsdale, New Bridge (ND 0278 1520), see ND01NW 58.

Helmsdale Bridge [NAT] OS 1:10,560 map, 1964.
------
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, pp. 42, 43) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974

J Aitken : 19/2/2004
------
ND026154). Helmsdale Bridge, built 1808-9, engineer Thomas Telford. A masonry bridge with two segmental arches, each of 70ft (21.3m) span, and triangular cutwaters. J R Hume 1977.
------
ND 026 154). Helmsdale Bridge was built by Telford in 1811 across the River Helmsdale and is a high bridge of coursed rubble, the two segmental spans of 70ft (21.3m) being 25ft (7.6m) above the water. The stepped cutwaters continue up the spandrels as semi-hexagonal pillars. G Nelson 1990.
------
A little upstream of the New Bridge (ND01NW 58), by Thomas Telford, 1809-11. Two semicircular arches, the pointed cutwaters surmounted by semi-octagonal buttresses which become pedestrian refuges at the parapet. J Gifford 1992
------
This bridge carries the present line of the A9 public road across the River Helmsdale, to the S of the town of Helmsdale (ND01NW 66). Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 30 March 1998.
-------
Built by Thomas Telford, 1811. Two wide segmental arches in random rubble. HBD No. 1.
Architect: Thomas Telford (1803-1821)


Sinclair B Calder, 1974, The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900) (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG364.


Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 319 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.


Nelson, G, 1990, Highland Bridges, 161-2 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2572.


Gifford, J, 1992, Highland and Islands, 584 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG2247.

Related Monument/Building records - none

Related Investigations - none

Related documents/files/web pages

Monuments/Buildings
Investigations
Conservation Areas
Listed Buildings
Scheduled Ancient Monuments
Designed Landscapes
Registered Battlefields
Marine Protected Areas