Link to printer-friendly page

Record details

ID:MHG10877
Type of record:Monument
Name:Brora Brickworks, Fascally
Feedback:

Images

© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for detailsBrick from Brora brickworks (photo by Derek Gill)  © Derek GillBrick from Brora brickworks (photo by Derek Gill)  © Derek Gill
Grid Reference:NC 8980 0401
Map Sheet:NC80SE
Civil Parish:CLYNE
Geographical Area:SUTHERLAND

Monument Types

Other References/Statuses

  • Historic Environment Record: MHG10877
  • NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 6551
  • NMRS Record Details: NC80SE43 BRORA, BRICKWORKS
  • Non-Statutory Register (R)
  • Old SMR Reference Number: NC80SE0052

Full description

See also:
NC90SW0029 - Salt Pans (Old)
NC90SW0004 - Coal Shaft & Salt Pans
NC80SE0077 - Coal Shaft & Tramway, Inverbrora
NC80SE0078 - No 1 Colliery, Fascally
NC80SE0013 - Ross No 2 Colliery, Fascally
NC80SE0111 - Colliery Tramway, Fascally
NC80SE0110 - Clay Pits
NC80SE0052 - Brora Brickworks
NC80SE0109 - Colliery Monument
J Aitken : 4/2/2004
------

The discovery of a good clay bank at Brora led to the establishement of the brick and tile works in 1814. It was situated near the Brora Colliery (it's fuel source), and closed in 1826. The brickworks opened again in 1873 when the colliery re-opened, and continued working until it finally ceased operation in the 1970's. <1>

The Brora Brickworks, which lay to the west of Fascally House, are clearly visible on the OS 2nd Edition Map (1907). These were linked to the enormous clay pit on the opposite (north) side of the road by an extension of the tramway. As with the colliery, both the area of the works and the clay pit have been landscaped since their closure - the clay pit becomimg the Brora recreation ground.
Gordonbush Windfarm Environmental Statement (Appendix 4.2) - Archaeology information supplied by J Hooper, March 2004
See Report 1244 - Site 94 <2>

(Location cited as NC 898 040). Brora, brickworks, founded c. 1870. Most of the buildings and plant are modern, but parts of the walls of one of the buildings are obviously of early date.
J R Hume 1977. <3>

This brickworks comprised a single Hoffman (continuous) kiln of eighteen chambers. It operated from (about) 1907 to (since) 1970, and has benn demolished since 1979.
G Douglas and M Oglethorpe 1993 (visited 1979). <4>

Martin Briscoe submitted two images of a brick from Brora Brickworks photographed by Derek Gill. <5>


Butt, J, 1967, The industrial archaeology of Scotland, 313 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2008.


<1> Sinclair B Calder, 1974, The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900) (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG364.


<2> Hooper J, Gordonbush Windfarm - Environmental Statement (Text/Report). SHG22117.


<3> Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 310 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.


<4> Douglas and Oglethorpe, G and M, 1993, Brick, tile and fireclay industries in Scotland, 62, no. Sutherland 01 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2134.


<5> Private individual, 2008-11, Feedback from website visitor, Martin Briscoe, 10/05/2009 (Text/Correspondence). SHG22709.

Related Monument/Building records - none

Related Investigations - none

Related documents/files/web pages

Monuments/Buildings
Investigations
Conservation Areas
Listed Buildings
Scheduled Ancient Monuments
Designed Landscapes
Registered Battlefields
Marine Protected Areas