|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Grummore, depopulated township, Loch Naver|
|Feedback:||If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.|
|Grid Reference:||NC 6082 3666|
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 2209: Grummore, depopulated township, Loch Naver|
- Historic Environment Record: MHG12636
- NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 5595
- NMRS Record Details: NC63NW1 GRUMMORE
- Old SMR Reference Number: NC63NW0001
Re-scheduled 2/2003 see secondary file for details - HAW 4/2003
NC63NW 1 605 364.
Grummore (NAT) OS 6"map, (1964)
The extensive remains of Grummore, a depopulated clachan which was in existence in 1726 and is shown by Roy as a group of five buildings on the west side of the Grummore Burn, with arable on east. It was cleared, partly in 1814 and finally in 1819 when sixteen houses were burned. The remains consist of building foundations and walls, banks and enclosures. The buildings range from about 5m by 3m to 28m by 4m with walls varying in height from 0.1m to gable height. There are corn-drying kilns at NC 6062 3713, 6046 3662 and 6070 3678.
W Roy 1747-55; W Macfarlane 1906-8; A MacKenzie 1946; A D Cameron 1966; J Prebble 1963; Visited by OS (WDJ) 9 May 1961.
Grummore (name verified) is as described above. There are remains of at least forty-nine buildings along with associated kail yards and enclosures. The corn drying kiln at NC 6062 3713 is particularly well-preserved.
Visited by OS (J B) 18 April 1977.
A township comprising fifty-five unroofed buildings, twenty-two enclosures and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet liv). Sixty-six unroofed buildings, twenty-four enclosures and a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1964).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 9 October 1995
Related Monument/Building records - none
Related Investigations - none
Related documents/files/web pages