|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Broch, Canisbay Parish Church|
|Feedback:||If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.|
|Grid Reference:||ND 3434 7284|
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- Historic Environment Record: MHG13805
- NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 9415
- NMRS Record Details: ND37SW4.0 CANISBAY PARISH CHURCH
- Old SMR Reference Number: ND37SW0005
Centred ND 3435 7283 Churchyard
The church of Canisbay, mentioned between 1223 and 1245, is built on mound covering ruins of a broch. There are indications that present church dates from 15th century, but fact that it was dedicated to St Drostan and that a rock immediately offshore retains name Papel (ND 3420 7308) might suggest a pre-Norse, Celtic origin.
Finds from graveyard include red deer antler and hammerstones presented to NMAS by Rev James MacPherson in 1871.
The church is oblong with probably 17th century N and S transepts and pre-Reformation tower in centre of W front. It is a plain, harled structure which underwent alterations in 18th and 19th centuries. The openings in side walls are square lintelled and those in gables pointed. The monuments date back to 16th century and include those of Groat family.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1873; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910; G Hay 1957; Orig Paroch Scot 1855.
No change; church and graveyard are in regular use.
Visited by OS (N K B) 11 August 1982.
Related Monument/Building records
|MHG1723||Part of: Canisbay Parish Church (Building)|
Related Investigations - none
Related documents/files/web pages