|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Harbour, Castlehill Pavement Works|
|Feedback:||If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.|
Attractive early C19 harbour built to ship flagstones from James Traill's Pavement Works. Built primarilly of local Caithness flag by James Bremner, a native of nearby Keiss.
|Grid Reference:||ND 1978 6857|
- HARBOUR (Built, 19th Century - 1820 AD to 1835 AD (between))
|Protected Status:||Listed Building (C) 14010: Castletown Castlehill Harbour and Boathouse|
- Historic Environment Record: MHG1393
- NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 8416
- NMRS Record Details: ND16NE41.0 CASTLEHILL, HARBOUR
- Non-Statutory Register (R)
- Old SMR Reference Number: ND16NE0041
Site visit 1/7/2003, photos. Harbour structure of laid Caithness slabs, unusual as some are laid on end, as this prevents damage from sea. Northern end reinforced with WW2 anti tank concrete blocks. On other side of the road storage areas built into side of hill. Now blocked <1>.
The harbour was constructed for James Traill by James Bremner, a native of Keiss, for his flagstone industry in the early C19. The pavement slabs produced in the cutting yard were brought by means of trolleys and loaded by hand on to small schooners. The slabs were shipped to central and southern Scotland, England and later to South Africa, South America and Australia. A link to further information on both James Traill and James Bremner can be found in the Associated Files <2>.
<1> White, H, Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist, 07/2003 (Verbal Communication). SHG23635.
<2> Puls, A, Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23286.
Related Monument/Building records
|MHG698||Part of: Castlehill Pavement Works (Monument)|
Related Investigations - none
Related documents/files/web pages