|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Well of the Seven Heads Monument, by Loch Oich|
|Feedback:||If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.|
|Grid Reference:||NN 3047 9914|
|Protected Status:||Listed Building (B) 6825: Well Of The Seven Heads Monument (by Loch Oich)|
- Survival: VISIBLE FEATURE (>1M (undated)
- Historic Environment Record: MHG17299
- NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 23911
- NMRS Record Details: NN39NW3 INVERGARRY, WELL OF THE SEVEN HEADS MONUMENT
- Non-Statutory Register (R)
- Old SMR Reference Number: NN39NW0003
NN39NW 3 3046 9914.
(NN 3046 9914) Tobar nan Ceann (NR) (and Monument)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
The inscription on the monument reads: As a memorial of the ample and summary vengeance which in the swift course of feudal justice, inflicted by the orders of the Lord McDonnell and Aross, overtook the perpetrators of the foul murder of the Keppoch family, a branch of the powerful and illustrious clan, of which His Lordship was the chief. This monument is erected by Colonel McDonnell of Glengarry XVII. MacMhicAlaister his successor and representative in the year of our Lord 1812. The heads of the seven murderers were presented at the feet of the noble chief in Glengarry Castle, after having been washed in this spring: and ever since that event, which took place early in the sixteenth century, it has been known by the name of "Tobar-nan-Ceann", or the Well of the Seven Heads.
Information from Postcard pasted to OS Record Card for site.
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe in July 2011 via the Highland HER Flickr group.
Taylor, A, 02/2010, A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25366.
Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.
Related Monument/Building records - none
Related Investigations - none
Related documents/files/web pages