Link to printer-friendly page

Record details

ID:MHG18592
Type of record:Monument
Name:Aviemore Station
Feedback:

Images

© Please contact Highland Council for detailsBridge in foreground, looking SW - A Wakeling  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsStation, from E - A Wakeling  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsStation, looking N - A Wakeling  © Please contact Highland Council for details1898 Railway Sheds, in 1994 - A Wakeling  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsListed Building Record - photograph  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsPhotographs from old listed building file  © Highland CouncilOld Council listed building record (for up to date description see link to Historic Scotland's website)  © Highland CouncilAviemore Railway Station (photo by Andrew Taylor)  © Andrew TaylorAviemore Railway Station (photo by Andrew Taylor)  © Andrew Taylor

Reports

Colour photograph  © Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 467 KB)Colour photograph  © Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 176 KB)Record form  © Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 60 KB)
Grid Reference:NH 8957 1233
Map Sheet:NH81SE
Civil Parish:DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS
Geographical Area:BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY

Monument Types

Protected Status:Listed Building (A) 257: Aviemore Railway Station with Island Platform, Footbridge and Fencing

Other References/Statuses

  • Historic Environment Record: MHG18592
  • NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 87430
  • NMRS Record Details: NH81SE6.0 AVIEMORE STATION
  • Old SMR Reference Number: NH81SE0034

Full description

NH81SE 6 895 123

Not to be confused with Aviemore, Speyside Station (NH 8965 1275), for which see NH81SE 27. For (associated) locomotive shed (NH 8980 1290) and Station Hotel (NH 8940 122), see NH81SE 4 and 26, respectively.

Opened 1863 by the Inverness & Perth Junction Railway, and rebuilt 1892 by the Highland Railway. A substantial 3-platform junction station. There is a lattice-girder footbridge linking the platforms.
JR Hume 1977

Aviemore Station was opened on 3 August 1863 (from the N) and 9 September 1963 (from the S) by the Inverness and Perth Junction Rly. as an intermediate station on Mitchell's original main line (via Boat of Garten, Dava and Forres) from Perth (Stanley Junction) to Inverness. It was subsequently incorporated into the Highland Rly. On 22 July 1978, a new station (NH81SE 27, named Aviemore Speyside) was constructed to the NE of the British Rail station on the basis of the redundant buildings and footbridge from Dalnaspidal Station (NN67SW 4). The main station remains in regular use by passenger traffic.
J Thomas and D Turnock 1989; R V J Butt 1995.

Railway station by William Roberts, 1898. To the N, an engine shed (NH81SE 4) of 1896, also by Roberts.
J Gifford 1992.

Opened 9.9.1863, Junction of Forres and Inverness Direct Lines from 1892 until 1965.

The station, island platform and footbridge were listed at Category B in 1986.

The listing was upgarded to Category A in 1998.

Photographs of station provided by A Wakeling, 04/1995. The Highland Archaeology Challenge.
J Aitken : 26/01/04

The listing description was updated by Historic Scotland in 2013 as part of the Scottish Siognal Box Review (2012-13). <1>


Taylor, A, 02/2010, A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25366.


Taylor, A, 02/2010, A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25366.


Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 205 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.


Thomas and Turnock, J and D, 1989, The north of Scotland, 218, 236, 264, 316 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2868.


Gifford, J, 1992, Highland and Islands, 80 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG2247.


Butt, R V J, 1995, The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present, 21 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2009.


<1> Historic Scotland, 2013, Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Forty First Amendment) 2013 (Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings). SHG26102.

Related Monument/Building records - none

Related Investigations - none

Related documents/files/web pages

Monuments/Buildings
Investigations
Conservation Areas
Listed Buildings
Scheduled Ancient Monuments
Designed Landscapes
Registered Battlefields
Marine Protected Areas