Link to printer-friendly page

Record details

ID:MHG2085
Type of record:Monument
Name:Wick Harbour
Feedback:

Reports

Black and white photograph  © Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 1085 KB)Sites and Monuments Record Card  © Highland Council (File size: 26 KB)
Grid Reference:ND 3680 5060
Map Sheet:ND35SE
Geographical Area:CAITHNESS

Monument Types

  • HARBOUR (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Other References/Statuses

  • Historic Environment Record: MHG2085
  • NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 9204
  • NMRS Record Details: ND35SE66.0 WICK, HARBOUR
  • Old SMR Reference Number: ND35SE0066

Full description

Letter from HS received 21/1/03. Wick Harbour Coast Protection Scheme 2002.
See Assoc. Docs. File
------
(Location cited as ND 368 505). Pultneytown Harbour. Built from 1824, first engineer Thomas Telford. The main harbour consists of two irregularly-shaped large basins, with a massive breakwater terminating in a lighthouse with a tapering octagonal tower. The other fixed light is on four cast-iron legs. At the extreme landward end of the inner basin is a boat slip. The harbour works are largely executed in mass concrete.
J R Hume 1977.

The Inner Harbour on S (or Pultneytown) side of Wick Bay was built in 1808 by George Burn and reconstructed by Thomas Telford in 1824-31; it forms a roughly triangular basin. In 1862-7 the Outer Harbour to SE was begun with building of the South Pier, designed by D and T Stevenson. The protection offered by this Outer Harbour was much improved in 1882-7, when James Barron extended the South Pier and added a breakwater to the Inner Harbour's North Pier to cover the Outer's previously open NE side. At the same time the old part of the North Pier was broadened and a new harbour (the River Basin) formed at the mouth of the Wick River by the construction of the South River Pier (extending N from the North Pier) and of the North River Pier (from the river's N bank. Most of what is now visible is Barron's work, concrete the dominant material. Lighthouse at the end od the South pier, a tapering octagonal tower.
J Gifford 1992.



REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office

RHP 8722 and 8724, Robt. Stevenson 1822 - plan & section of imp to harbour


Butt, J, 1967, The industrial archaeology of Scotland, 239 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2008.


Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 201 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.


Minchinton, W, 1984, A guide to industrial archaeology sites in Britain, 170 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2521.


Gifford, J, 1992, Highland and Islands, 141-2 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG2247.

Related Monument/Building records - none

Related Investigations - none

Related documents/files/web pages

Monuments/Buildings
Investigations
Conservation Areas
Listed Buildings
Scheduled Ancient Monuments
Designed Landscapes
Registered Battlefields
Marine Protected Areas