|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Red Point Fishing Station|
|Feedback:||If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.|
|Grid Reference:||NG 7392 6720|
|Geographical Area:||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- Historic Environment Record: MHG21433
- NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 104941
- NMRS Record Details: NG76NW4 RED POINT FISHING STATION
- Old SMR Reference Number: NG76NW0004
Thumbnail Photo of ice house at fishing station
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 03/04
The last fishing season was as recently as 2-3 years ago, and the nets and other equipment is still stored. Two partially stone built buildings of which the eastern is a bothy, with two stone gables with chimneys, the rest of the walling wood which is now deteriorating and partially fallen away. The interior is wood lined with wooden partitions dividing living and sleeping space. In the bedroom is an interesting collection of graffiti dating back to the 1920s, recording weather conditions, catches, prices, and doodles of boats. This graffiti is deteriorating and has been added to by recent visitors.
The more western stone building is also partially wooden walled. It has two chimneys and was presumably built to be a bothy but is now used as a store. There is also a wooden store down by the shore, net drying posts and anchors.
The ice house has been set into what appears to be a natural knoll a short distance north of the fishing station. Only the back wall survives, with the opening for inserting the ice and a cart track up the knoll to this point. Curiously, this feature is not recorded on the 1st edition OS map.
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 23/3/04
NG76NW 4 7402 6714
A single unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet lxviii), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1969).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 23 April 1996.
Photographs of the western building were submitted to the HER by Paul Swan in August 2010. The building survives as an unroofed structure, much as described above. <1>
<1> Swan, P, 2008-11, Photographs of various HER sites submitted by Paul Swan (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23809.
Related Monument/Building records - none
Related Investigations - none
Related documents/files/web pages