Link to printer-friendly page

Record details

ID:MHG2649
Type of record:Monument
Name:Kiltarlity Old Parish Church
Feedback:

Images

Site Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsOld Council listed building record (for up to date description see link to Historic Scotland's website)  © Highland CouncilKiltarlity Old Parish Church looking W (photo by Eddie Freeman)  © Highland CouncilKiltarlity Old Parish Church north side (photo by Eddie Freeman)  © Highland CouncilKiltarlity Old Parish Church West Gable from inside (photo by Eddie Freeman)  © Highland CouncilKiltarlity Old Parish Church west gable window (photo by Eddie Freeman)  © Highland CouncilKiltarlity Old Parish Church and Graveyard (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church and Graveyard (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church and Graveyard (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church Graveyard (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church Graveyard (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church Graveyard (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church Graveyard (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church Graveyard (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011Kiltarlity Old Parish Church (photo by Martin Briscoe)  © J M Briscoe, 2011

Reports

Sites and Monuments Record Card  © Highland Council (File size: 126 KB)Plan  © Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 22 KB)
Grid Reference:NH 4974 4392
Map Sheet:NH44SE
Civil Parish:KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH
Geographical Area:INVERNESS

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (B) 8081: Kiltarlity Old Parish Church & Burial Ground; Scheduled Monument 5570: Kiltarlity Old Parish Church

Other References/Statuses

  • Historic Environment Record: MHG2649
  • NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 12381
  • NMRS Record Details: NH44SE1 KILTARLITY, OLD PARISH CHURCH
  • Old SMR Reference Number: NH44SE0001

Full description

Up to date photographs supplied by E and R Fairclogh of Inverness for Highland Archaeology Challenge September 2003. See Assoc. Docs file

JW 27-10-03

See also:
NH44SE0083 Graveyard
J Aitken : 09/12/02
-----
NH44SE 1 4972 4392.
(NH 4972 4392) Church {NR} (In Ruins)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
------
The church of 'Kyntarlargyn' is mentioned in 1227.(A C MacLean 1915) The present building, the former parish church of Kiltarlity, was probably erected in the 16th cent. (W R Macdonald 1902) The dedication is said to have been to Thalargus, or, according to another account, to 'Tarrail', whose grave is said to be marked by 'Clach Tarrail'. (NH 44 SE 2) about 1/2 mile SW of the church. (C Fraser 1845) A new parish church was erected on the site of the present parish church in 1763. In the graveyard of the old church is at least one cup-marked stone, utilised as a grave stone (W Jolly 1882)
------
Kiltarlity parish was formed out of Convinth in 1226
T D Wallace 1911
------
The church is built of random masonry roughly coursed with rubble in-filling bonded with lime mortar, and measures 17.6m by 7.0m within a wall 0.9m thick. The gables stand to roof height, and are identical, each with two windows one above the other. The side walls stand to a maximum of c.2.5m. There are two entrances on the S. side. The interior is occupied by burial monuments.
No further information regarding the dedication.
There is no trace of the alleged cup-marked grave stone in the graveyard, which is still in use.
Visited by OS (R L) 11 March 1970

Not to be confused with Kiltarlity Parish Church of Scotland NH54SW 16

Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe in July 2011 via the Highland HER Flickr group.


NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, vol. 14,(C Fraser) 483, 500 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.


Jolly, W, 1882, On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands, 376 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1317.


Macdonald, W R, 1902, 'The heraldry in some of the old churchyards between Tain and Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol 36 1901-2, pp 688-732, 714 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1679.


Wallace, T, 1911, 'Notes on some sculptured slabs and headstones in the churchyards of Glenconvinth and Kirkhill, Inverness-shire', 309 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1207.


Maclean, A C, 1915, 'Notes on Contin Church, Ross-shire, with its sacrament house, and two sepulchral slabs in the churchyard', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 49 1914-15, p.71-8, 71 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1195.


RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 24, No. 180 (Text/Report). SHG2673.


Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.


Freeman, E, 2008-9, Photographs of various HER sites (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23975.

Related Monument/Building records

MHG31353Parent of: Kiltarlity Old Parish Church, graveyard (Monument)

Related Investigations - none

Related documents/files/web pages

Monuments/Buildings
Investigations
Conservation Areas
Listed Buildings
Scheduled Ancient Monuments
Designed Landscapes
Registered Battlefields
Marine Protected Areas