Link to printer-friendly page

Record details

ID:MHG2778
Type of record:Monument
Name:Suspension Bridge, Bridge of Oich
Feedback:

Images

© Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsListed Building Record - photograph  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsOld Council listed building record (for up to date description see link to Historic Scotland's website)  © Highland Council

Reports

Article  © Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 445 KB)
Grid Reference:NH 3376 0361
Map Sheet:NH30SW
Civil Parish:BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF
Geographical Area:INVERNESS

Monument Types

Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 90343: Bridge of Oich, suspension bridge and embankment; Listed Building (A) 1872: Oich, Old Bridge Over River Oich

Other References/Statuses

  • Guardianship Monument
  • Historic Environment Record: MHG2778
  • NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 12216
  • NMRS Record Details: NH30SW11 OICH, BRIDGE OF OICH
  • Old SMR Reference Number: NH30SW0010

Full description

For Aberchalder swing bridge (NH 3384 0352) and Bridge of Oich (NH 3368 0349), see NH30SW 9 and 10, respectively.

(location cited as NH 337 036). Built circa 1850, probably by James Dredge. A double cantilever chain suspension bridge with coursed bullfaced rubble battered pylons linked by round-headed pedimented arches. Wooden decked bridge. Bridge is now disused (1983). Similar to Dredge bridges at Inverness.
SDD List; J R Hume 1977.

This bridge formerly carried a public road over the River Oich at Aberchalder.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 22 July 1997.


NH 3376 0360 A series of small trenches were opened by Kirkdale Archaeology on the Oich suspension bridge (NMRS NH 30 SW 11) in advance of groundworks to strengthen the poles anchoring the bridge in place. Forty-eight of the anchors were uncovered, alongside possible traces of an earlier surface below the present tarmac.
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
G Ewart and A Radley 1997


Bridge crosses the parishes of Boleskine and Abertarff, Inverness and Kilmonivaig, Lochaber

Drumnadrochit & Fort Augustus Local Plan, Oct. 1991: P13/2.40. Conservation Areas & Listed Buildings.
J Aitken : 24/05/01.


Hume, J R, 1977, 'Scottish suspension bridges', Scot Archaeol Forum Vol. 8 1976, p.91-105, 91-105 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1480.


Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 204 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.


Ewart and Radley, G and A, 1997, 'Old Oich suspension bridge (Boleskine & Abertarff parish), archaeological assessment', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.45, 45 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1310.

Related Monument/Building records - none

Related Investigations - none

Related documents/files/web pages

Monuments/Buildings
Investigations
Conservation Areas
Listed Buildings
Scheduled Ancient Monuments
Designed Landscapes
Registered Battlefields
Marine Protected Areas