Link to printer-friendly page

Record details

ID:MHG3333
Type of record:Monument
Name:Beauly Mercat Cross
Feedback:

Images

Site Visit - 19/8/02  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit - 19/8/02  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit - 19/8/02  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit - 19/8/02  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit - 19/8/02  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite Visit, February 2004  © Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details

Reports

Colour photograph  © Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 181 KB)
Grid Reference:NH 5267 4643
Map Sheet:NH54NW
Civil Parish:KILMORACK
Geographical Area:INVERNESS

Monument Types

  • MARKET CROSS (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (B) 49635: Beauly Market Cross

Other References/Statuses

  • Historic Environment Record: MHG3333
  • NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 12703
  • NMRS Record Details: NH54NW8 BEAULY, HIGH STREET, MARKET CROSS
  • Old SMR Reference Number: NH54NW0008

Full description

The cross was excluded from the Schedule on 02/12/2003. The reasons stated are that it no longer lies on its original site and that it is also category B listed.
(KC 08/2004)

The cross was taken down and repaired. Re-erected April 2003. See Associated documents files.
JW 9/6/03

Grid ref corrected to OS Landline map
JW 25/6/02

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NMRS notes:
NH54NW 8 5268 4645.

(NH 5270 4645) Market Cross (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1872)

A plain standing stone about 6' or 8' high. It has been shifted three times in the last hundred years.
Name Book 1872

This is the famous cross erected at Wellhouse on the high road above Beauly c1430-40 by Lord Hugh Fraser. (ISSFC 1885) About 1746 the cross was broken and the pedestal removed to Belladrum (NH 5141) where it remains. The shaft of the cross was later joined by iron bars and erected on a new pedestal with the capital, but the cross and crosslets which adorned it were never restored. In early 19th c, a 'joug' was fitted to centre of the shaft.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896

As described. This cross stands at the entrance to the grounds of Beauly Priory at NH 5268 4645.
Surveyed at 1:2500.
There is no trace of the pedestal at Belladrum House, now demolished. Visited by OS (J B) 23 June 1975


MacGibbon and Ross, D and T, 1896-7, The ecclesiastical architecture of Scotland from the earliest Christian times to the seventeenth century, 246 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2443.

Related Monument/Building records - none

Related Investigations - none

Related documents/files/web pages

Monuments/Buildings
Investigations
Conservation Areas
Listed Buildings
Scheduled Ancient Monuments
Designed Landscapes
Registered Battlefields
Marine Protected Areas