Link to printer-friendly page

Record details

ID:MHG3337
Type of record:Building
Name:St. Mary's Church, Wardlaw
Feedback:

Summary

The remains of the parish church for Wardlaw, which was amalgamated with Kirkhill in the early 17th century. This church succeeded an early 13th century structure.

Images

Site Visit, February 2004 (photo by Dorothy Low)  © Highland CouncilSite Visit, February 2004 (photo by Dorothy Low)  © Highland CouncilGeneral view (photo by R Duncan)  © R DuncanPhoto by R.Duncan  © Please contact Highland Council for detailsSite visit, February 2004 (photo by Dorothy Low)  © Highland CouncilSite visit, February 2004 (photo by Dorothy Low)  © Highland CouncilSite visit, February 2004 (photo by Dorothy Low)  © Highland CouncilSite visit, February 2004 (photo by Dorothy Low)  © Highland CouncilSite visit, February 2004 (photo by Dorothy Low)  © Highland CouncilSite Visit, February 2004 (photo by Kirsty Cameron)  © Highland CouncilSite Visit, February 2004 (photo by Kirsty Cameron)  © Highland CouncilPhotographs from old listed building file  © Highland CouncilOld Council listed building record (for up to date description see link to Historic Scotland's website)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland CouncilSt Mary's Church, Wardlaw (photo by Martin Briscoe via Flickr)  © J M Briscoe, 2011St Mary's Church, Wardlaw (photo by Martin Briscoe via Flickr)  © J M Briscoe, 2011St Mary's Church, Wardlaw (photo by Martin Briscoe via Flickr)  © J M Briscoe, 2011St Mary's Church, Wardlaw (photo by Martin Briscoe via Flickr)  © J M Briscoe, 2011

Reports

Colour photograph  © Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 784 KB)
Grid Reference:NH 5495 4570
Map Sheet:NH54NW
Civil Parish:KIRKHILL
Geographical Area:INVERNESS

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Norse to 19th Century - 1220 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (A) 7815: Kirkhill, Old Wardlaw Church With Lovat Burial Aisle And Burial Ground

Other References/Statuses

  • Historic Environment Record: MHG3337
  • NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 12699
  • NMRS Record Details: NH54NW4.0 KIRKHILL, ST MARY'S CHURCH
  • Non-Statutory Register (R)
  • Old SMR Reference Number: NH54NW0004

Full description

(NH 5495 4570) St Mary's Church (NR) (In Ruins)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)

The remains of church of former parish of Wardlaw which was incorporated in Kirkhill 1618. This church, dedicated to St Mary, was successor to NH54SW1 which is said to have been removed 1220.
The remains consist of gable against the west gable of mortuary chapel which was built in 1722. Local tradition says that the tombstones from earlier site were removed to this burial ground, where Jolly notes numerous cup-marked stones and refers to 'a fragment of a very beautfiul cross'.
T Wallace 1911 and 1886; W Jolly 1882

What appears to be the foundations of St Mary's Church are attached to the W side of the Lovat Mausoleum, and the enclosure is now used for burials of the Frasers of Reelig. It measures 10.3m E-W by 6.6m N-S within walls 0.5m thick. The W wall is partly destroyed, and the N and S walls averaging 1.0m high are topped by a later coping, but the harled E gable is virtually intact and incorporated in the W wall of the mausoleum. According to a notice board the church was built in 1618 when the parishes were united, and there is no ground evidence to support an earlier date. The same notice, however, states that the mausoleum was built in 1634, but the date 1722 is inscribed on the belfry.

The earliest legible grave markers are of the early 17th C. No trace of cup marked stones, nor of the cross fragment. The grave yard is still in use.
Visited by OS (A A) 22 June 1975

An archaeological examination was carried out in connection with restoration work at this important 17th/18th-century building. A fine quatrefoil window exposed in the W gable of the mausoleum is thought to be the remains of the window dedicated by Euphemia Fraser in 1341. Other fragments of dressed masonry thought to derive from the medieval church were also found. However, apart from the W gable, no walling incontrovertibly related to the earlier church was revealed. Further work is planned.
A full report will be lodged with the NMRS and Highland SMR.
Sponsor: Wardlaw Mausoleum Trust.

The above information was imported from the RCAHMS Canmore database when the HER (formerly SMR) was digitised in the 1990s. <1>

See also:
NH54NW0179 Graveyard
J Aitken : 09/12/02

See <2>, <3> and <4> for relevant sources cited above. See MHG31356 for corrections and additional information relating to the churchyard.


Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.


<1> RCAHMS, Canmore automatic download, 12699 (Dataset). SHG23369.


<2> Wallace, T, 1911, 'Notes on some sculptured slabs and headstones in the churchyards of Glenconvinth and Kirkhill, Inverness-shire', pp 311-2 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1207.


<3> Wallace, T, 1886, Notes on ancient remains in the Beauly Valley, Inverness-shire, p 352 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1192.


<4> Jolly, W, 1882, On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands, p 376 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1317.

Related Monument/Building records

MHG39898Parent of: Mausoleum, St. Mary's Church, Wardlaw (Building)
MHG31356Related to: Cemetery, St. Mary's Church, Wardlaw (Monument)
MHG3412Related to: St. Maurice's Chapel, Wardlaw (Monument)

Related Investigations - none

Related documents/files/web pages

Monuments/Buildings
Investigations
Conservation Areas
Listed Buildings
Scheduled Ancient Monuments
Designed Landscapes
Registered Battlefields
Marine Protected Areas