Link to printer-friendly page

Record details

ID:MHG4033
Type of record:Monument
Name:St. Maelrubha's Chapel, Arisaig
Feedback:

Images

Old Council listed building record (for up to date description see link to Historic Scotland's website)  © Highland Council© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details© Please contact Highland Council for details(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council

Reports

Black and white photograph  © Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 1008 KB)Sites and Monuments Record Card  © Highland Council (File size: 372 KB)Article  © Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 896 KB)
Grid Reference:NM 6589 8692
Map Sheet:NM68NE
Civil Parish:ARISAIG AND MOIDART
Geographical Area:LOCHABER

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (B) 329: Arisaig Village, Old Church and Burial Ground

Scores

  • Survival: VISIBLE FEATURE (>1M (undated)

Other References/Statuses

  • Historic Environment Record: MHG4033
  • NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 22520
  • NMRS Record Details: NM68NE1.0 ARISAIG, OLD PARISH CHURCH
  • Non-Statutory Register (C)
  • Old SMR Reference Number: NM68NE0001

Full description

See also:
NM68NE0055 Graveyard
J Aitken : 09/12/0
-----
NM68NE 1.00 6588 8691
NM68NE 1.01 NM 6588 8692 Building

(NM 6588 8691) St Mary of Iona's Chapel (NR) (In ruins) Grave Yard (NAT).
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1902)

The ancient church of Cill Mha'ru or Kilmory (Scott 1918) is probably no later than the 16th century and might be earlier. It is in two parts, the main building and an annexe which may, or may not, be contemporary. The walls are intact except that on the E, and were skilfully built from poor materials (Donaldson 1923). Fragments of 6 sculptured stones are contained within the church (Blundell 1911).
The correct dedication appears to be to St Maelrubha (c.671), the church being formerly styled Kilmolroy, or Kilmaroy or Kilvorie - eventually (and erroneously) corrupted into 'Mary' (Reeves 1861).
W Reeves 1862; F O Blundell 1911; A B Scott 1918; M E M Donaldson 1923

The ruins of St Maelrubha's Chapel (Info from Monseigneur MacInnes, Chapel House, Morar) are as planned by Donaldson. Of the six inscribed stones only No. 2 and part of No. 1 were seen within the chapel at the time of investigation. The graveyard is still in use. Visited by OS (N K B) 19 May 1970


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG4212.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG4213.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG4214.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG4215.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG4216.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG4217.


H.W.Lumsden, 1884, 'Notice of some fragments of sculptured monumental slabs in the churchyard of Arasaig, Inverness-shire.', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1884, p.211-12, 211-12 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3018.

Related Monument/Building records

MHG31359Parent of: Cemetery, St. Maelrubha's Chapel, Arisaig (Monument)

Related Investigations - none

Related documents/files/web pages

Monuments/Buildings
Investigations
Conservation Areas
Listed Buildings
Scheduled Ancient Monuments
Designed Landscapes
Registered Battlefields
Marine Protected Areas