|Type of record:||Monument|
|Feedback:||If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.|
|Grid Reference:||NJ 0580 2622|
|Civil Parish:||ABERNETHY AND KINCARDINE|
|Geographical Area:||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 936: Congash, two symbol stones 500m SE of; Scheduled Monument 2662: Congash, chapel, burial ground and symbol stones, 500m SE of|
- Historic Environment Record: MHG4621
- NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 15675
- NMRS Record Details: NJ02NE1.0 PARC-AN-CAIPEL, CONGASH
- Old SMR Reference Number: NJ02NE0001
Site visited and photographed by John Halliday, 30/09/03. Highland Archaeology Challenge. See assoc. docs. File.
J Aikten : 20/01/04.
Access Audit 104 - HAW 11/2003
NJ02NE 1 0580 2622.
Chapel (NR) (Site of): Sculptured Stones: Burial Ground (Disused).
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
An enclosure (said to be the site of an old chapel and burial ground) in which are two sculptured stones lying at the S end (Name Book 1871). J Stuart (1867) and J R Allen and J Anderson (1903) figure two Pictish symbol stones 'situated within a small circular enclosure' on the farm of Congash, and the former says that on the same farm are 'similar structures believed locally to be ancient burial grounds.'
Name Book 1871; J Stuart 1867; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.
The remains of an enclosure, known locally to have been an old burial ground, and two Pictish symbol stones, which have been used as portal stones for the entrance to the burial ground, located in a near level pasture field. The burial ground, which measures 35.0m N to S by 29.0m transversely, is enclosed by a stony bank, spread to an average width of 3.0m and 0.8m high. The entire central area is covered by modern field clearance, and no trace of the chapel remains, but a patch of nettles in the centre of the enclosure may mark the site.
The two symbol stones are as illustrated by J R Allen, the stone on the W side of the entrance being clear and well-incised, while that on the E side has weathered considerably.
The present farmer does not know of any 'similar burial grounds' on his land, but there is an almost circular stony mound, 30.0m in diameter and 3.0m high, surmounted by three trees, at NJ 0591 2639, which may be artificial. Vast quantities of field clearance have been added around its base.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (R B) 7 September 1966.
Congash Nos. 1 and 2. Two Pictish symbol stones were found in a small circular enclosure on Congash Farm, one on the E side of the entrance and one on the W. No. 1 is of blue gneiss, measuring 0.96m x 0.66m x 0.25m and bears the horseshoe and elephant symbols. It has weathered considerably. No. 2 is in good condition and the incised decoration still very clear. It measures 1.14m x 0.76m x 0.12m, is of blue gneiss and bears the double disc and Z-rod, and an unusual symbol which looks like a helmet pierced by an arrow.
Information from R Jones to OS, 1980.
The monument consists of the footings of a chapel and its associated burial ground, on either side of the entrance to which stands a stone with Pictish symbols.
The enclosure is a flattened circle on plan and measures approximately 35m N-S by 29m E-W. It is enclosed by a stony bank, now approximately 0.8m high, and spread to an average width of 3.0m. The interior of the enclosure is dotted with stones, the result of field clearance over many years, but the footings of a rectangular structure can be traced amidst the later piled stones.
On the S side of the enclosure stand two stones, apparently flanking the entrance to the enclosure; both of these bear Pictish symbols on the inner sides of the jambs. The stone to the W is approximately 1.15m high and 0.8m wide and the carving is clear and well incised; it bears a double disc and Z-rod symbol above a symbol which has been likened to a helmet transfixed by an arrow. The stone to the E is approximately 1m high by 0.65m wide at the bottom and 0.5m wide at the top, and the carvings - a so-called horse-shoe symbol above a so-called elephant symbol - are more heavily weathered. Both stones are of blue gneiss.
There is no documentary evidence to identify the site as that of a chapel and burial ground, but local tradition holds this view. The field in which the site stands is called Parc-an-Caipel. The lack of documentary evidence may suggest that the chapel is of early date.
Information from Historic Scotland, .
Two class I symbol stones.
Congash 1 : Horseshoe above an elephant.
Congash 2 : Double-disc and Z-rod above a helmet.
A.Mack 1997 p.106
Congash Pictish Stone (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG15395.
Congash, burial ground, chapel and symbol stone. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG11337.
Congash, Grantown-on-Spey (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG13871.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 1, 3 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3339.
P.S.S. 1, Congash, Grantown- on- Spey (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG10182.
P.S.S. 1, Congash, Grantown- on- Spey (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG10185.
P.S.S. Congash (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG10203.
Stuart, J, 1867, Sculptured Stones of Scotland, 62; pl. 107 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG351.
Allen and Anderson, J R and J, 1903, The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation, part 3, 96-7; illusts (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1883.
Mack, A, 1997, Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones, 106 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2456.
Related Monument/Building records
Related Investigations - none
Related thematic articles
Related documents/files/web pages