|Type of record:||Monument|
|Feedback:||If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.|
|Grid Reference:||NG 2566 5927|
|Geographical Area:||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 916: Dun Hallin, broch, Hallin|
- Historic Environment Record: MHG4754
- NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 10905
- NMRS Record Details: NG25NE1.1 SKYE, DUN HALLIN
- Old SMR Reference Number: NG25NE0001
Dun Hallin, NG25NE0001
Brochs are round, tower-like houses, their monumental size intended to display the wealth and status of the agricultural communities who lived in them. The large, square blocks, neatly laid in horizontal courses, visible in the outer face of Dun Hallin, are characteristic of the quality of the stonework found in many brochs in northern and western Scotland. (57)
This broch is located in the middle of the Waternish peninsula, with extensive views over the sea lochs on either side. Today it is situated in bleak moorland, but is surrounded by shieling huts and enclosures, which show that the immediate area remained of agricultural importance until the beginning of the twentieth century. (53)
The broch is well-preserved and the circular form of the interior living space is clearly visible. The narrow entrance passage is still recognisable, as are the cells, possibly guard rooms, on either side. The lower steps of a stair, probably leading to an upper floor, can be seen within the thickness of the drystone wall. (55)
Armit, I., 1997. Celtic Scotland. Edinburgh: Batsford.
Ritchie, G., and Harman, M., 1996. Exploring Scotland’s Heritage. Argyll and the Western Isles.
Edinburgh: HMSO, 131, No. 62.
RCAHMS. 1928. The Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. Edinburgh: HMSO, 158-9, No. 509.
[photo. should stress stonework?]
Information from SCRAN Project, March, 2000
NG25NE 1.01 2566 5927.
(NG 2566 5927) Dun Hallin (NR)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
Dun Hallin, a broch, occupies the SE end of a rocky plateau around the edge of which are traces of a wall.
The broch has an internal diameter of 36' with walling from 9ft 9ins to 11ft wide and up to 12ft 6ins high on the N and W. The entrance on the SE is ruined but on either side an oval cell is visible. A gallery can be traced on the SW.
RCAHMS 1928; A Graham 1949.
Dun Hallin, a broch as described above.
Visited by OS (ASP) 3 May 1961.
Dun Hallin occupies the SE corner of a roughly triangular flat-topped rocky outcrop overlooking Hallin and some 800m from the cross-roads to Geary; apart from the natural protection afforded by the rock stack the broch is additionally defended by a wall that runs round the perimeter of the stack enclosing an area about 40m from N to S and 50m transversely. No inner facing-stones of this outer work are visible, for the interior appears to have been cultivated, but, on the NW flank, stretches of the outer face still survive below the summit of the rock and this suggests that the wall was originally about 3.3m in thickness. The broch has been constructed of large blocks of stone, the outer wall rising with a distinct batter to a height of 3.4m. Circular on plan the broch measures about 10.8m internally with the entrance passage on the SE being too choked with debris to permit further description. Within the thickness of the wall on either side of the entrance there is a small oval cell. The NE cell is more fully exposed than that on the SW and measures 3m in length by 1.4m in breadth with its walls still standing to a height of 1.75m. Further dilapidation of the SW cell appears to have taken place since the site was recorded by the Commission in 1921, but the corbel stones of the W end of the cell are still visible, confirming a length of about 2.7m; the cell appears to be about 1.2m broad. In neither case can the entrance to the cell be detected. Within the thickness of the broch wall on the SW quadrant part of an intra-mural gallery can be seen; the entrance from the inner court measuring about 1m in width and the first part of the gallery being about 1.2m broad, the visible portion of the gallery terminating in what may be a flight of steps.
Visited by RCAHMS (JNGR) 4 November 1990.
Dun Hallin (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG14409.
Dun Hallin (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG14410.
Dun Hallin (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG14411.
Dun Hallin (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG14412.
Dun Hallin (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG14413.
Dun Hallin (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG14414.
Dun Hallin (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG14415.
Dun Hallin (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG14416.
Dun Hallin (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG14417.
Dun Hallin (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG14418.
Dun Hallin (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG14419.
Dun Hallin (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG14420.
RCAHMS, 1928, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles, 158-9, No. 509; plan (Text/Report). SHG2656.
Graham, A, 1949, 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99, 48-99 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1531.
Ritchie and Harman, J N G and M, 1985, Exploring Scotland's heritage: Argyll and the Western Isles, 132, No.63 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2708.
Related Monument/Building records - none
Related Investigations - none
Related documents/files/web pages