Link to printer-friendly page

Record details

ID:MHG4893
Type of record:Monument
Name:St. Maelrubha's Chapel, Kilmory, Borline
Feedback:

Images

Old Council listed building record (for up to date description see link to Historic Scotland's website)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council(photo by Andrew Puls)  © Highland Council

Reports

Colour photograph  © Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 241 KB)Sites and Monuments Record Card  © Highland Council (File size: 553 KB)
Grid Reference:NG 3759 2599
Map Sheet:NG32NE
Civil Parish:BRACADALE
Geographical Area:SKYE AND LOCHALSH

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 5665: Loch Eynort, St Maelrubha's Church, chapel and burial ground; Listed Building (B) 1791: Borline, Kilmory Churches And Graveyard

Scores

  • Survival: VISIBLE FEATURE (>1M (undated)

Other References/Statuses

  • Historic Environment Record: MHG4893
  • NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 11030
  • Old SMR Reference Number: NG32NE0001

Full description

See also:
NG32NE0018 Graveyard & Graveslabs
J Aitken : 10/12/02
-----

NG32NE 1.00 3759 2599

NG32NE 1.01 3757 2599 Churchyard; Cross-shaft
NG32NE 1.02 3757 2599 St Michael's Font

(NG 3759 2599) Church (In Ruins) (NAT).
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

At Kilmoruy, Borline, are two roofless churches, the larger probably of the 18th century, and the smaller earlier.
The latter is an oblong structure, orientated E-W, 26ft 5ins in length and 15ft 8ins in breadth externally. The walls, 2ft 5ins thick, still stand 7ft 6ins high above the present level of the interior. The wall-head is angled to conform with the slope of the thatch (RCAHMS 1928). This church seems to have been rebuilt after the Reformation and in 1792 was ruinous (OPS 1854). In all probability it occupies the site of the ancient church of St. Maelrubha (T S Muir 1885).
The later church lies a short distance to the W. The churchyard contains a fragment of a cross-shaft 4'9" long, and fine decorated grave-slabs. A 15th - 16th century font was removed to the NMAS, Edinburgh.
Orig Paroch Scot 1854; T S Muir 1885; J R Walker 1887; RCAHMS 1928; W D Simpson 1935.

The earlier of these two ruined churches is as described by RCAHMS. The later church, which is roofless, measures 14.3m long and 7.5m wide externally, with walls 0.8m thick. The S wall contains a door and two windows and the W gable end also has a window.
The cross-shaft described and illustrated by RCAHMS is recumbent and serves as a gravestone. The graveyard is disused.
Visited by OS (C F W) 7 June 1961.

NG32NE 1.01 3757 2599

The churchyard contains a fragment of a cross-shaft 4'9" long, and fine decorated grave-slabs. A 15th - 16th century font (N32NE 1.02) was removed to the NMAS, Edinburgh.
Orig Paroch Scot 1854; T S Muir 1885; J R Walker 1887; RCAHMS 1928; W D Simpson 1935.

The cross-shaft described and illustrated by RCAHMS is recumbent and serves as a gravestone. The graveyard is disused.
Visited by OS (C F W) 7 June 1961.


OPS, 1854, Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland, 357 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG341.


Muir, T S, 1885, Ecclesiological notes on some of the islands of Scotland, 34-5 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2550.


Muir, T S, 1885, Ecclesiological notes on some of the islands of Scotland, 34-5 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2550.


Walker, J R, 1887, 'Scottish baptismal fonts', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 21 1886-7, p.346-448, 412-18 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1471.


RCAHMS, 1928, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles, 138-9, No.474 (Text/Report). SHG2656.


Simpson, W D, 1935, The Celtic church in Scotland: a study of its penetration lines and art relationships, 79-80; fig. 10 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2798.


Ritchie and Harman, J N G and M, 1985, Exploring Scotland's heritage: Argyll and the Western Isles, 97, no. 35 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2708.

Related Monument/Building records

MHG44925Parent of: St. Maelrubha's Chapel and, Kilmory, Borline (Monument)
MHG31362Parent of: St. Maelrubha's Chapel, Kilmory, Borline (Monument)

Related Investigations - none

Related documents/files/web pages

Monuments/Buildings
Investigations
Conservation Areas
Listed Buildings
Scheduled Ancient Monuments
Designed Landscapes
Registered Battlefields
Marine Protected Areas