|Type of record:||Monument|
|Feedback:||If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.|
|Grid Reference:||NH 3149 0061|
- CASTLE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 5481: Invergarry Castle|
- Survival: VISIBLE FEATURE (>1M (undated)
- Historic Environment Record: MHG5519
- NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 12217
- NMRS Record Details: NH30SW2 INVERGARRY CASTLE
- Old SMR Reference Number: NH30SW0002
NH30SW 2 3150 0063.
(NH 3150063) Invergarry Csatle (A.T) (Remains of)
Invergarry Castle was a stronghold of the Macdonnels and was occupied by the chief of that clan until 1746 when it was destroyed by the Duke of Cumberland. The existing building, on the L-plan seems to date from the end of the 17th century. The main building measures about 55 feet by 32 feet over the walls, which have been carried to a height of five stories. The wing which was on the west or landward side has been almost entirely demolished, but enough remains to enable the plan to be traced. The building is now ruinous.
J MacGibbon and J Ross 1889
Invergarry Castle, is as described above.
Visited by OS (R B) 8 May 1964
The castle was listed at Category B in 1971.
The castle was scheduled in 1992.
On the Estate of Invergarry, in the Parish of Kilmonivaig, Inverness-shire, near the Western shore of Loch Oich, and seven and a half miles S.W. of Fort Augustus. As stated in Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer, 1901, the 'ruined' Castle stands half a mile South of the hamlet of Invergarry. Among Military Maps and Drawings (of the 18th Century) of the Board of Ordnance, Reference "MSS. 1645-1652" in the Index of the National Library of Scotland, is a Drawing contained in Volume or Case No. 1648 and numbered.- Z.3/27. A "Plann, (to scale of 20 Feet to an Inch), and Prospects (or views) of the Castle of Glengarry", surveyed and deliver'd by Lewis Petit.. There is no date, but there is a copy of same dated 1741.
Macgibbon and Ross, in "The Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland" refer to "Invergarry Castle" on the thickly wooded and precipitous North bank of Loch Oich. It was the stronghold of the Macdonnels, and was occupied by the chief of the Clan till 1746, when it was burned and detroyed by the Duke of Cumberland. They give a Plan and two pen and ink views.
National Library Nattes Drawings, Vol 2, No. 70. 22nd Sept - 1 drawing.
Add to last item in bibliography: Ellice paper on Invergarry Castle has been reprinted by Glengarry Heritage Association, 2000. <1>
The building was de-listed by Historic Scotland in May 2015 as part of a project looking at dual designations of castles in the Highlands. It remains a scheduled monument. <2>
Related Monument/Building records - none
Related Investigations - none
Related thematic articles
Related documents/files/web pages