|Type of record:||Monument|
|Feedback:||If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.|
|Grid Reference:||NH 4860 5839|
|Geographical Area:||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Protected Status:||Listed Building (B) 7834: Strathpeffer, Railway Station|
- Historic Environment Record: MHG6292
- NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 12460
- NMRS Record Details: NH45NE61 STRATHPEFFER, STATION
- Old SMR Reference Number: NH45NE0029
NH45NE 61 485 583
Strathpeffer Station. Opened 1885 by the Highland Railway. A single-platform terminus.
J R Hume 1977.
Strathpeffer station opened on 3rd June 1885 as terminus (and only station) on Highland Railway branch from Dingwall (Fodderty Junction); the station on the Kyle of Lochalsh line that was originally named Strathpeffer was re-named Achterneed from same date (NH45NE 69).
The station served spa town and, after 1911, a railway hotel; it was, in consequence, always busiest in tourist season. The station (and branch) closed to regular passenger traffic on 23rd February 1946.
J Thomas 1977; G Daniels & L Dench 1980; H A Vallance 1985; J Thomas & D Turnock 1989.
Now craft workshops, by Murdoch Paterson, 1885.
J Gifford 1992.
Though the station closed to regular passenger traffic in 1946, freight was carried until 1951. The rails were taken away by 1952. The present station is comprised of buildings from three periods:
The oldest part of the station is to the west. During the 1920s-1930s, John Menzies had a bookstall at the station, built against the west wall of the station and with a sloping display area. It sold cigarettes, tobacco, chocolates, sweets, papers (some of which were regular orders for the nearby properties), magazines and books. In the 1950s and 1960s there was a coal merchants there and Bob Knox had an upholstery business.
The middle section of the station, currently (2011) housing the bookshop, was constructed in the 1970s/1980s.
The 2010 extension to the Museum of Childhood lies to the east.
Information from Duncan Finlayson; Margaret Spark; Kitty Campbell; Jennifer Maxwell, ARCH Remembering Strathpeffer Project, 2011 <1>
Taylor, A, 02/2010, A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25366.
Thomas, J, 1977, Railways of the Scottish Highlands Series Vol. 5: The Skye Railway, 89-92 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2873.
Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 287 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.
Daniels and Dench, G and L, 1980, Passengers no more, 86 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2106.
Vallance, H A, 1985, The Highland railway, 38, 43 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2902.
Thomas and Turnock, J and D, 1989, The north of Scotland, 260; plate on p. 51 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2868.
Gifford, J, 1992, Highland and Islands, 454 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG2247.
<1> Various, Remembering Strathpeffer, Site 51 (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25338.
Related Monument/Building records - none
Related Investigations - none
Related thematic articles
Related documents/files/web pages