|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Auldearn Old Parish Church|
|Feedback:||If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.|
|Grid Reference:||NH 9197 5557|
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
|Protected Status:||Listed Building (B) 1647: Auldearn Parish Church, Remains Of Former Medieval Church, Burial Ground And Sundial; Scheduled Monument 5418: Auldearn, old parish chuch|
- Survival: ROOFED BUILDING (undated)
- Survival: VISIBLE FEATURE (>1M (undated)
- Historic Environment Record: MHG7226
- NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 15560
- Old SMR Reference Number: NH95NW0006
Thompson (appendix to diary 1884) "village now of but small dimensions was once the most important town in the county & we read of the Dean of the college in connection with Elgin Cathedral being its minister" - HAW 2/2003
J Aitken : 11/12/02
Incorporates former NH95NW0045 a/b
NH95NW 6 9194 5555.
(NH 9194 5555) Church (NAT) OS 6" map (1959)
The parish church of Auldearn, built 1757, It is adjoined by an unroofed portion of its predecessor (whose windows bear traces of Gothic architecture), which is now used for burial.
St Columba was associated with Auldearn but whether his establishment was on this site or whether medieval church was dedicated to him is not known.
G Bain 1893
As described above. Visited by OS (RD) 26 November 1965
Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH), 08/2011, Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Auldearn, Site 17 (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25449.
Bain, G, 1893, History of Nairnshire, 37, 38, 498 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1938.
Related Monument/Building records
|MHG44943||Parent of: Auldearn Old Parish Church (Monument)|
Related Investigations - none
Related documents/files/web pages