Link to printer-friendly page

Record details

ID:MHG7647
Type of record:Monument
Name:Township, Strome Meanach
Feedback:

Images

(photo by Highland Council)  © Highland Council(photo by Highland Council)  © Highland Council(photo by Highland Council)  © Highland Council(photo by Highland Council)  © Highland Council(photo by Highland Council)  © Highland Council(photo by Highland Council)  © Highland Council(photo by Highland Council)  © Highland Council(photo by Highland Council)  © Highland Council(photo by Highland Council)  © Highland Council(photo by Highland Council)  © Highland Council(photo by Highland Council)  © Highland Council(photo by Highland Council)  © Highland Council(photo by Highland Council)  © Highland Council(photo by Highland Council)  © Highland Council

Reports

© Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 1585 KB)© Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 10 KB)Sites and Monuments Record Card  © Highland Council (File size: 68 KB)
Grid Reference:NG 8725 3675
Map Sheet:NG83NE
Civil Parish:LOCHBROOM
Geographical Area:ROSS AND CROMARTY

Monument Types

Other References/Statuses

  • Historic Environment Record: MHG7647
  • NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 11882
  • NMRS Record Details: NG83NE2 STROMEMEANACH
  • Non-Statutory Register (V)
  • Old SMR Reference Number: NG83NE0008

Full description

Photo of corn drying kiln in settlement by Paul Swan, Locharron 10/2003 HAW

NG83NE 2 centred on 8725 3675
The remains of 28 buildings, with walls averaging 1.3m high. All buildings are un-roofed but one gable (NG 8720 3668) remains entire. There is a well-preserved kiln at NG 8717 3668.
Mr Duncan MacLean, grocer, Lochcarron, states that his father was born here and that name of place was 'Stromemeanach' (OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 1st ed., {1875}) , but he could not vouch for spelling. This site appears to have been depopulated in late 19th century. Visited by OS (W D J) 21 October 1966

A township comprising one roofed building, two partially roofed, twenty-one unroofed buildings, three unroofed structures and two enclosures is depicted on 1st edition of OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, 1880, sheet cx). 16 unroofed buildings and 2enclosures are shown on current edition of OS 1:10000 map (1972).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 7 May 1996

Related Monument/Building records

MHG41528Parent of: DELETED - merged with MHG7647 (Monument)

Related Investigations - none

Related documents/files/web pages

Monuments/Buildings
Investigations
Conservation Areas
Listed Buildings
Scheduled Ancient Monuments
Designed Landscapes
Registered Battlefields
Marine Protected Areas