|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Pre-1938 Road at Polnish|
|Feedback:||If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.|
A road bridge at this location comprised part of the pre-1938 road to Mallaig.
|Grid Reference:||NM 74240 83600|
|Civil Parish:||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
- ROAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- Historic Environment Record: MHG27053
- NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 135987
- NMRS Record Details: NM78SW18 POLNISH
- Old SMR Reference Number: NM78SW0021
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Fri 10 Mar 2000
NM78SW 18 7424 8360
NM 752 828 to NM 729 841 During December 1995 and September 1996, a programme of evaluation and excavation was carried out in advance of the proposed widening and realignment of the A830 between Polnish Chapel and the Loch Nan Uamh viaduct.
The characteristic steep slopes and rocky terrain meant that the potential for site identification was limited. However, several features were identified during the evaluation, in two cases confirming identifications made during the desk-based study.
Sixteen trenches were excavated, all located at the W end of the road corridor in an area comprising arable flood plain (NM 7317 8410). The only feature located within the trial trenches was a large scooped feature, possibly an old stream course.
The following site was located and recorded by fieldwalking and palaeoenvironmental assessment elsewhere within the road corridor:
6 NM 7424 8360 Bridge and road.
The road bridge (site 6) lay 110m directly SE of Polnish House and comprised part of the pre-1938 road to Mallaig. Limited excavation revealed that the bridge measures c 33 x 5.1m by 1.2m high. The bridge was constructed from large, roughly dressed and unmortared stones of varying size incorporating a small culvert. The tarmac surface of the road survives in places.
A Data Structure Report has been produced for the evaluation phase of the work, and a Data Structure Report for the excavations is in preparation.
Sponsor: The National Roads Directorate of The Scottish Office Development Department, managed on their behalf by Historic Scotland
A Rees 1996 <1>
Sources and further reading
|<1>||Text/Publication/Article: Rees, A. 1996. 'Polnish Chapel to Loch Nan Uamh Viaduct (Arisaig and Moidart parish), archaeological evaluation and excavation', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1996, p.58-59. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 58-59. 58-璘鰒璘䓐|
Related Monument/Building records
|MHG45664||Parent of: Polnish Bridge (Monument)|
Related Investigations - none
Related documents/files/web pages