|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of the House of McDonald|
|Feedback:||If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.|
Site of the house which saw the massacre of the McDonalds in 1688.
|Grid Reference:||NN 0990 5920|
|Civil Parish:||LISMORE AND APPIN|
- Historic Environment Record: MHG343
- NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 23545
- NMRS Record Details: NN05NE2 THE HOUSE OF THE MCDONALD
- Old SMR Reference Number: NN05NE0002
Site of the House of the McDonald Massacred 1692. (NAT)
OS 6"map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1875)
The McDonald massacre, or more popularly the massacre of Glencoe, was an act by the government against the Jacobite clans subsequent to the rising of 1688.
The McDonald of Glencoe and his family were butchered in their beds by a detachment of government troops whom they were at the time entertaining, whilst further detachments ran amok down the glen murdering all McDonalds.
The object was to exterminate the McDonalds and intimidate the other clans, but it was only partly successful as a large proportion of the clan escaped.
W T Kilgour 1908; D B MacCulloch 1935; J Prebble 1966.
Nothing remains of the house, the general area being occupied by a barn and an enclosure.
Visited by OS (C F W) 10 July 1961.
Kilgour, W T, 1908, Lochaber in war and peace, 24-32 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2380.
MacCulloch, D B, 1938, Romantic Lochaber (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2433.
Prebble, J, 1966, Glencoe, 28 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2634.
Related Monument/Building records - none
Related Investigations - none
Related documents/files/web pages