Link to printer-friendly page

Record details

ID:MHG8109
Type of record:Monument
Name:Fyrish Monument
Feedback:

Images

Photographs from old listed building file  © Highland CouncilOld Council listed building record (for up to date description see link to Historic Scotland's website)  © Highland Council© Please contact Highland Council for detailsFyrish Monument (photo by Lynn Fraser)  © Lynn Fraser

Reports

Black and white photograph  © Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 613 KB)Colour photograph  © Please contact Highland Council for details (File size: 228 KB)Sites and Monuments Record Card  © Highland Council (File size: 115 KB)Brief notes  © Adrian Clark (File size: 85 KB)
Grid Reference:NH 6076 6971
Map Sheet:NH66NW
Civil Parish:ALNESS
Geographical Area:ROSS AND CROMARTY

Monument Types

Protected Status:Listed Building (B) 369: Fyrish Monument

Scores

  • Survival: VISIBLE FEATURE (>1M (undated)

Other References/Statuses

  • Historic Environment Record: MHG8109
  • NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 13675
  • NMRS Record Details: NH66NW31 FYRISH MONUMENT
  • Non-Statutory Register (R)
  • Old SMR Reference Number: NH66NW0021

Full description

Late 18th c picturesque monument; line of 9 random rubble circular piers, the centre 4 being linked by pointed headed arches forming arcade with masonry rising in stumpy section above, giving unfinished, ruinous impression.

Commanding position on Cnoc Fyrish overlooking Cromarty Firth. Said to have been constructed by General Sir Hector Munro of Novar (1726-1805) who served in India, to represent the gates of Negatapam, the scene of one of his victories, and to have provided work for local unemployed. (Listed Building Description) <1>

Mentioned. <2>

It is commonly known that the Fyrish Monument was built by General Sir Hector Munro of Novar (1727 – 1806) in the 1780s on the proceeds of his prize monies and pensions from his various Indian campaigns. The tradition runs that this was an early work creation scheme for local people who were suffering the effects of food shortage and unemployment. There is the rather tall story that he personally rolled stones down from the summit overnight to create additional employment! And it is said to be based on the gates of the coastal fortress of ‘Nepapatuam’, which he captured in 1781from the Dutch and their Indian allies.
It is less well known that the monument, a Listed Building (category B) from 1971, was originally painted white; the outlying pillars at each end are several metres out of alignment with the main monument; and 2 smaller monuments, with straight sides, sit on Meann Cnoc and Creag Ruadh, which are now clearly visible from the road. <3>

Lynn Fraser submitted a photograph of this monument via the Highland HER Facebook page. <4>

Fyrish was mentioned in ARCH's Evanton Wartime Remains project in 2013. According to Alpin MacDonald, there were beacons at Ardullie and Fyrish during wartime. Their proximity to the folly are unclear. <5>

Sources and further reading

---Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
---Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
---Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
<1>Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 369.
<2>Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 79, No. 33; illust.
<3>Text/Manuscript: Clark, A. 11/2009. Sir Hector’s Follies (Notes on the Fryish Monuments). Yes.
<4>Interactive Resource/Webpage: Highland Council. 2011. Highland HER Facebook page. Yes. Lynn Fraser, 02/04/2011.
<5>Dataset/Database File: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2013. Evanton Wartime Remains. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. MDB. Site 121.

Related Monument/Building records - none

Related Investigations - none

Related documents/files/web pages

Listed Buildings
Scheduled Ancient Monuments
Monuments/Buildings
Investigations