MHG36450 - ROC observation post, Spean Bridge
A Royal Observer Corps observation post consisting of bunker and adjacent aircraft post.
Type and Period (2)
- OBSERVATION POST (In use, 20th Century - 1960 AD to 1968 AD (between))
- ORLIT POST (In use, 20th Century - 1960 AD to 1968 AD (between))
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004
NN28SW 21 c.2063 8240
This Royal Observer Corps observation bunker is situated on the W side of the B 8004, W of the Commando Memorial.
Constructed of concrete, it is a post-war 1950s type Orlit type underground bunker. <1>
Martin Briscoe submitted photographs of this site in March 2010 and advised that the grid reference previously assigned was incorrect. <2> <3>
A full description of this ROC post is available on the Subterranea Britannica website together with several photographs, including internal views. The post opened in September 1960 and closed in October 1968. The site was visited in 2001 and all surface features were found to be intact with only minor damage. Access was gained to the bunker which was flooded to a depth of 6''. The table, shelf and cupboard were still in place. A GPO Ever Ready battery was seen on the table and some GPO junction boxes and wiring remained on the wall. The building alongside the bunker is an aircraft post. <4>
There appears to be two HES Canmore records for this site, one with the previous incorrect grid reference to the W side of the B8004, and with the correcr grid refence to the east. See links belows to both of pictures of the site contributed by Martin Briscoe.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 318098.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol. 2 p.255-6.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. J M Briscoe, 06-03-2010.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <4> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Subterranea Britannica. 2004. Subterranea Britannica. Spean Bridge.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 20937 82327 (7m by 19m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/db/989387560.html (Spean Bridge ROC observation post on Subterranea Britannica website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/173999 (Link to HES Canmore entry for this site)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/318098/spean-bridge-roc-observation-post (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.