MHG1723 - Canisbay Parish Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Built, Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD (between))
ND37SW0031 Groat family memorial
ND37SW0032 Antler and hammerstones from broch
ND37SW 4.01 Centred ND 3435 7283 Churchyard
ND37SW 4.02 ND 3436 7285 Memorial
The church of Canisbay, mentioned between 1223 and 1245, is built on mound covering ruins of a broch. There are indications that present church dates from 15th century, but fact that it was dedicated to St Drostan and that a rock immediately offshore retains name Papel (ND 3420 7308) might suggest a pre-Norse, Celtic origin.
Finds from graveyard include red deer antler and hammerstones presented to NMAS by Rev James MacPherson 1871.
The church is oblong with probably 17th century N and S transepts and pre-Reformation tower in centre of W front. It is a plain, harled structure which underwent alterations in 18th and 19th centuries. The openings in side walls are square lintelled and those in gables pointed. The monuments date back to 16th century and include those of Groat family.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1873; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910; G Hay 1957; Orig Paroch Scot 1855.
No change; church and graveyard are in regular use.
Visited by OS (N K B) 11 August 1982.
REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office
Statement of cost of repairing Church (excluding Freswicke loft
& May and Brabster aisles and of building office houses, garden andcornyard dykes for the Manse.
Account for work done at Church.
It includes glazing, plasterwork and the making of a pulpit and desk. Alexander MacKenzie - wright.
Work done 1789 Paid 1792 GD96/680/3
Repairs to the steeple of Church.
Repair to Church and Manse. James Ross, mason.
Repair of the Church and Manse. (porch, Causewaying.) Account
of work done by John Levach, mason; it includes work on "Sir James's aisle", "Lady Brabster's aisle" and the steeple. Paid 1792
Repair of the Church.
Receipt of money received from Patrick Dunbar a heritor.
Building of the Church.
Details of sums discharged for the rebuilding of the church and a note of claims on heritors. The account which amounts to ?1325.8.7 kept by
Repairs necessary to windows & roof of Church
Note of timber required for repair of Church roof.
Information transcribed from Architecture Catalogue slip:
Architect - Hippolyte J. Blanc - alterations
Plans - Mr. Hay, 29 Moray Place states that he has recorded this to some extent
East Caithness Local Plan, May 1987: P31/2.53.
J Aitken : 22/05/01.
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
Highland Council Archaeology Unit, HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 5, 98 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24007.
Highland Council Archaeology Unit, HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 6, 104 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24257.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 5. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 98.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 6. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 104.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3440 7285 (188m by 77m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:1795 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1795 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9415 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.