MHG2733 - Ring cairn, Culburnie
A late Neolithic-Bronze Age ring cairn.
Type and Period (1)
- RING CAIRN (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC? to 1501 BC?)
Stone Circle (O'E.)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
Culburnie: a ring-cairn in a group of trees beside the public road. The approach road to a nearby croft passes across the NW side, and the SW side is included in the croft garden.
The cairn composed of rounded boulders, has diameters of 42-44 ft. and a height of 5 ft. The kerb is virtually complete and is composed of large irregular boulders increasing in height from 1-2 ft on the N., to the SW. Where there are impressive blocks 3 ft. 6in. - 4 ft. high. A modern wall has been built above the kerb on the SW side.
The interior space has diameters of 16-17 ft. and the walling is composed of boulders from 1 - 2 ft 9 ins in height. A hole 3 ft. square and 2 ft. deep has recently been dug in the centre.
There is a ring of eight monoliths, 10 - 14ft, outside the kerb, with an overall diameter of 70 ft. It is complete except for a gap on the NE where the ninth stone stood. The tallest monolith,on the SSW.,is 7 ft. high.
Cup-marks have been reported on three of the monoliths and three of the kerb stones, but they are now unconvincing except for the kerb stone on the SSW which may have weathered cup-marks.
A S Henshall 1963 <1>
Ring-cairn as described above.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (R L) 18 December 1964
Temporary fencing was erected around this cairn whilst development was taking place elsewhere on the site in 2008 and 2009. This site was found to be as described above and overgrown with shrubs and trees. <2>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Hill, C. 03/2008. Culburnie Cairn, Kiltarility. Colour. . Digital.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 12.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. Vol. 1, 370-1, (INV 19).
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McCullagh, C and Wood, J. 12/2009. Watching Brief: House renovation and extension, 19 Culburnie, Kiltarlity. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital. pp 7, 12-13.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 49180 41808 (26m by 26m) (Centred)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2425 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12397 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.