MHG2961 - Ring cairn - Mains of Clava South-East
The remains of a ring cairn. Traces of the inner kerb survive but there is no trace of the outer kerb nor of any stone circle.
Type and Period (1)
- RING CAIRN (Middle Bronze Age to Late Bronze Age - 1500 BC? to 551 BC?)
Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of).
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
Mains of Clava, South East: Clava-type cairn. When visited by Fraser (1884) it was already fragmentary, but he records a kerb of about 50 feet diameter and an internal ring of about 18 feet diameter. The area where it stood is now waste land … only a few stones of the structure, heavily overgrown, can now be seen.
A S Henshall 1963, visited 9 April 1957.
There are no remains of a stone circle or cairn at the site, which is overgrown by whin and gorse bushes. There is no local knowledge of a cairn even existing here.
Revised at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 13 August 1964.
This site was surveyed in the 1990s as part of a wider research project. It was observed to consist of a low bank of rubble about 19m in diameter, bounded on the inside by two arcs of upright stones, eight in total, with a ninth recognisable to the north east. These stones probably represent the remains of the inner kerb of the monument. No trace of an outer kerb survives and there are no signs of an enclosing stone circle. The cairn is somewhat smaller than the central ring cairn at Balnuaran of Clava and is more comparable to Balnuaran of Clava South.
This ring cairn may possibly have formed part of a second phase of the cemetery, together with the south ring-cairn and the small kerb cairn. <1>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. 2008. Clava Cairns. Highland Council Planning & Development Service.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 28.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 382, INV 41.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Fraser, J. 1884. 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 328-62. 329, 350, 360.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Bradley, R. et al. 2000. The Good Stones: a new investigation of the Clava Cairns. Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Monograph Series. 17. Paper (Original) & Digital. pp 39-40, 120.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7605 4457 (21m by 21m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM90074 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14264 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.