MHG4608 - Cairn, Toum
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Access Audit described as both 101 & 112 , the former is almost certainly the correct one - HAW 11/2003
NH92SE 7 9601 2173.
Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
A cairn consisting wholly of loose stones, situated near the farm of Ochnoir. It is not known to have been opened.
Name Book 1871.
A cairn of bare stones situated on a false crest at about 900ft OD., measuring 24.0m N-S by 20.0m E-W and 3.0m high. It is virtually untouched and in good condition, although some stones have been dsplaced and lie at the base of the cairn. No kerb or other structures are visible.
Resurveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 16 September 1966.
'This magnificent site is, without question, the finest of the remaining Bronze Age cairns in this middle portion of Strathspey. Standing on a sloping terrace which commands clear views to the east and south over the valley, the cairn structure still rises some 4m. The flattened summit of the cairn suggests that it may have been looted at some stage in the past, but the sides of the boulder heap show no signs of disturbance. There are traces of a possible kerb on the south side.' (Oram 1996, p. 32)
Visit in autumn 2011 by Sue Murray, ARCH Community Timeline course, shows rubbish has been tipped into the cairn.
Add to Bibliography:
Oram, Richard 1996. Moray and Badenoch. A Historical Guide, p. 32 <1>
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 24, 10 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3355.
<1> Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH), 2012, Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Boat of Garten, Site 23 (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25666.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 24, 10.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Boat of Garten. Yes. Digital. Site 23.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9601 2175 (17m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:2443 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2443 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15447 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.