MHG55421 - Lighthouse store, Brough Harbour
A building formerly used for stores for Dunnet Head Lighthouse.
Type and Period (1)
- STOREHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1830 AD to 1830 AD)
- None recorded
The Lighthouse Store is a rectangular building 7.9 metres long and 5.5 metres wide situated at Brough Harbour. It was constructed by the Northern Lighthouse Board in 1830. Its purpose was the temporary storage of lighthouse supplies landed at the harbour. Onward transport to the lighthouse was by horse‐drawn cart.
The building is constructed of sandstone blocks. The seaward wall contains a door and two window openings and is of narrow‐joint ashlar construction. Above the foundation course the blocks in the seaward wall and the quoins on the four corners are broached with parallel lines. Above the door there is the inscription ‘2 Miles, 3Q and 11 Yds from the LIGHTHOUSE. 1830’. This information might have been used in setting payments for carting of stores.
The roof is hipped and the original slating has been replaced by corrugated sheets. An old photograph shows that the building was painted white, in the manner of most lighthouse property, but no traces of paint remain. The building is currently used for storing fishing gear.
Information submitted by David Glass for Brough Bay Association <1>
<1> Glass, D, 07/2011, Information from Brough Community Harbour Project (Text/Record Form). SHG25594.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2202 7401 (9m by 10m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.