MHG7211 - Ring cairn etc, Easter Clune
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- RING CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- (Alternate Type) STONE CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of) Stone Coffins found AD 1852.
OS 6" map (1906)
? Ring-cairn: the site has this appearance although there are no monoliths. The cairn has a diameter of between 71 and 72 feet, edged by a kerb of boulders projecting about 1 foot above the ramp of stony material outside them. The interior of the cairn of much disturbed. The cairn material is now flush with the top of the kerb and appears to dip towards a hollow centre at about 11 feet within the kerb. There are no certain stones of an interior setting to be seen and the central hollow is littered with field stones.
A S Henshall, visited 2 February 1958
'About the year 1852 some stone coffins were discovered in the interior of the circle, two of which are still to be seen.'
Name Book 1869
The cairn is generally as described by Henshall. The kerb of boulders around the perimeter is incomplete and overgrown but still evident. There is no stony material outside the kerb as the plough-line of the field skirts the perimeter of the cairn. No trace of the stone coffins mentioned in ONB can be found.
Revised at 25".
Visited by OS (RD) 18 August 1965
This Clava ring-cairn measures 22m in diameter.
RCAHMS 1978, visited May 1978
GIS spatial data created 2018 bases OS Master Map. <1>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 7, no.3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No.3, 62.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 387.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9524 5161 (23m by 24m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3134 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15579 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.