MHG7226 - Auldearn Old Parish Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
NH95NW 6 9194 5555.
(NH 9194 5555) Church (NAT) OS 6" map (1959)
The parish church of Auldearn, built 1757, It is adjoined by an unroofed portion of its predecessor (whose windows bear traces of Gothic architecture), which is now used for burial. St Columba was associated with Auldearn but whether his establishment was on this site or whether medieval church was dedicated to him is not known.
G Bain 1893
As described above. Visited by OS (RD) 26 November 1965
The church, burial ground and sundial were listed at Catgeory B in 1971.
The older portion of the church was Scheduled in 1992.
Incorporates former NH95NW0045 a/b
Thompson (appendix to diary 1884) "village now of but small dimensions was once the most important town in the county & we read of the Dean of the college in connection with Elgin Cathedral being its minister" - HAW 2/2003
As part of the Dual Designations Project, it was proposed by Historic Environment Scotland in 2017 that the medieval church would be removed from the listing. <1>
Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH), 08/2011, Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Auldearn, Site 17 (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25449.
Bain, G, 1893, History of Nairnshire, 37, 38, 498 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1938.
<1> Historic environment Scotland Designations Team, 2017, Assessment against the listing criteria: Auldearn Parish Church, remains of former medieval church, burial ground and sundial (Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings). SHG27614.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, G. 1893. History of Nairnshire. 2nd ed.. 37, 38, 498.
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Auldearn. Yes. Site 17.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic environment Scotland Designations Team. 2017. Assessment against the listing criteria: Auldearn Parish Church, remains of former medieval church, burial ground and sundial. Historic Environment Scotland. 12/09/2017. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9194 5556 (44m by 26m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1647 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5418 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15560 (View HES Canmore entry for this building)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.