What do I do if I have archaeological sites on my land?

It is important that you know the location and the full extent of the archaeological sites on the ground. The HER records are a good starting point, but we recommend you also seek advice from the Highland Council Archaeology Unit. You must be sure to avoid damage to these sites and ensure that any contractors know of their existence. 

Some of the sites on your land may be designated as Scheduled Ancient Monuments. This means they are protected by law and you will require formal consent before undertaking certain activities. Further information and advice can be obtained from Historic Scotland.