|Name:||Trial excavations at High Pasture Cave site, Isle of Skye: 2004 season|
|Organisation:||West Coast Archaeological Services|
|Date:||March 2004 to March 2005|
Field survey, trial excavation and preliminary analysis was undertaken as a result of preliminary rescue work at the site during 2002 and 2003 which included the removal of archaeological deposits from the cave that had been disturbed by speleologists visiting the site during 1997. Preliminary analysis of the recovered material from the cave suggested occupation of the site during the later Prehistoric period. The aim of the fieldwork undertaken during 2004 was to further evaluate the extent and preservation of any remaining archaeological deposits in the cave passages.
A trial trench excavation was carried out in Bone Passage during April/May 2004 to investigate the potential of any surviving archaeological deposits within the cave and to provide potential samples for radiocarbon dating. The trench (Trench 1) measured one metre long and spanned the width of Bone Passage, which at this point measures between 1.8m and 2.0m wide, and revealed a well-stratified sequence of archaeological deposits.
In addition, a significant deposit of animal bone was excavated in Bone Passage, labelled Feature F001. The bone deposit was discovered during the removal of a stalagmite boss for potential dating purposes, during the cave morphology survey in May 2004.<1>-<10>
Type(s) of Investigation
- Archaeological Intervention/Excavation/Trial Trench
|Grid Reference:||Centroid NG 59413 19705 (MBR: 326m by 309m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area:||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
|Location:||Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave), Isle of Skye|
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S, Wildgoose M and Kozikowski, G. 03/2005. Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave), Strath, Isle of Skye 2004: The Preliminary Assessment and Analysis of Late Prehistoric Cultural Deposits from a Limestone Cave and Ass璘鰒璘斀ಹ
- Text/Report: MacSween, A. 03/2005. High Pasture: Report on the Pottery.
- Text/Report: Cressey, M. 03/2005. Preliminary charcoal assessment.
- Text/Report: McLaren, D and Hunter, F. 03/2005. High Pasture Cave: Assessment Report on Small Finds.
- Text/Report: Ceron-Carrasco, R. 03/2005. Analysis of the fish remains.
- Text/Report: Ceron-Carrasco, R. 03/2005. Analysis of the marine mollusc remains.
- Text/Report: Drew, C. 03/2005. Preliminary analysis of the animal bone.
- Text/Report: Gleed-Owen, C. 03/2005. Amphibian bone analysis.
- Text/Report: Pannell, C. 03/2005. Report on the Preliminary Gastropod Findings from Uamh An Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave), Kilbride, Strath, Isle of Skye, Scotland.
- Text/Report: Rowley-Conwy, P. 03/2005. Preliminary analysis of charred plant remains.
|MHG32043||Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave) (Monument)|
|EHG965||Parent event/activity: Detailed survey and artefact collection at Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave), Isle of Skye|
|EHG1399||Child event/activity: Trial excavations at High Pasture Cave site, Isle of Skye: 2005 season (Ref: HPC002)|
Related thematic articles