|Name:||Trial trenching at Eilean Donan Castle, Ross-shire|
|Organisation:||Field Archaeology Specialists Ltd (FAS)|
|Date:||September to October 2008|
Following an earlier programme of survey work, five trenches were excavated to investigate the character and layout of the medieval castle outer defences and any associated deposits, and to inform the preparation of a Conservation and Research Management Plan. All excavation, backfilling and re-turfing was undertaken by hand.
Specific objectives were:
to define the original plan and present condition of the northwest tower (Intervention 3)
to define the survival and character of the western curtain wall, and its relationship to the north tower (Intervention 4)
to establish the former ground level, and condition and character of archaeological deposits in the outer ward
to define the survival and character of the north curtain wall (Intervention 5)
to assess the character and date of the northeast tower (Intervention 6)
to ascertain whether or not there was a southwestern tower (Intervention 7)
to assess whether the current vegetation and tides at the site are having a detrimental effect on the extant archaeological remains
The evaluation demonstrated that, despite modern interventions during the reconstruction of the castle, stratified medieval deposits and structures survive at the site, and contain significant material assemblages. <1>-<5>
Type(s) of Investigation
|Grid Reference:||Centred NG 88126 25848 (76m by 116m) (Mastermap)|
|Geographical Area:||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Location:||Eilean Donan Castle, Dornie, Ross-shire|
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Toop, N. 02/2009. Eilean Donan Castle, Ross-shire: Archaeological Evaluation. Field Archaeology Specialists Ltd (FAS). 06/03/2009. Digital.
- Text/Report: Hall, D. 2009. Assessment of the ceramic assemblage. SUAT Ltd. . Digital.
- Text/Report: Mortimer, C. 2009. Assessment of Metal-Working Waste. . Digital.
- Text/Report: Smith, C. 2009. Assessment of animal remains. SUAT Ltd. .
- Text/Report: Spall, C. 2009. Assessment of small finds. Field Archaeology Specialists Ltd (FAS). . Digital.
|MHG45372||Eilean Donan Castle (Monument)|
|MHG9201||Possible vitrified fort, Eilean Donan (Monument)|
|EHG2972||Parent event/activity: Topographical survey at Eilean Donan Castle, Ross-shire (Ref: LDC08)|
|EHG2973||Parent event/activity: Geophysical survey at Eilean Donan Castle, Ross-shire (Ref: LDC08)|