|Type of record:||Monument|
|Feedback:||If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.|
|Grid Reference:||NH 8938 5253|
- CHAPEL (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) HERMITAGE (RELIGIOUS) (Undated)
|Protected Status:||Listed Building (A) 14058: Rait Castle; Scheduled Monument 1235: Rait Castle|
- Survival: VISIBLE FEATURE (>1M (undated)
- Historic Environment Record: MHG45363
- NMRS NUMLINK Reference: 15163
- NMRS Record Details: NH85SE10 RAIT CASTLE
- Old SMR Reference Number: NH85SE0010
De-scheduled by Historic Scotland 30/04/2002 .
But schedling document 12.6.2002 - HAW 11/2004
See associated documents for further information.
A M Fox, Highland Council, 26.07.01
NH85SE 10 8938 5253
Rait Castle farmhouse & steading (NH89025280), see NH85SE82
Rait Castle (NR) (In Ruins) OS 6" map, Nairnshire, 2nd ed. (1906)
NAI Local Plan, Dec. 2000: P21/8. Tourism & Recreation.
J Aitken : 05/06/01.
Rait Castle, a rare example of a small stone hall-house of early 14th century, examined by Stewart Cruden and Prof Simpson 1957. It occupies a bad defensive position, overlooked from south by a rough irregular knoll. Slight traces on N side of castle suggesting an enclosing ditch.
The hall measures approx 54ft by 22ft and up to 36ft in height, with walls nearly 6ft thick. A round tower projects from one corner and there is a garderobe tower which projects nearly 13ft on W side and is 8ft wide. The portion of a wall embedded in E gable is older than hall-house and is probably a remnant of an older manor-house. The long tenement on W side is older, too, as it appears to have been shortened to make room for hall-house.
Between hall and knoll to S is courtyard, S wall of which incorporates a steep, smooth granite outcrop about 8ft high and 80ft long. It is constructed of similar materials to hall-house and stands to a height of 9ft and 2.5ft thick.
The detached building, 32ftx 16ft, SE of hall-house, is possibly chapel of St Mary of Rait, or Hermit's Chapel. In 1343 Nicholas the Hermit was in occupation and records exist of a chapel c1189-99.
The last recorded reference to a castle on this site was1596, excepting mention of Castledown of Rait in 1622.
W D Simpson 1937; 1961; S H Cruden 1960.
Rait Castle, now undergoing restoration and possible remains of chapel of St Mary of Rait, or Hermit's Chapel, are as described and planned by Simpson.
To E of castle remains of a minor depopulated settlement, comprising several buildings with attached small enclosures, which may or may not be associated with castle.
Visited by OS (N K B) 12 January 1967.
Scottish Historical Review Vol.2 No.5 1904 p.104
Scheduled Monument conscent for scrub clearance, removal of trees and ivy from an area of 2m around the castle by hand 15/04/05
Rait Castle. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG11318.
Rait Castle. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG11319.
Rait Castle. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG11320.
Simpson, W D, 1937, 'Rait Castle and Barevan Church, Nairnshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 71 1936-7, p.98-115, 98-111 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1385.
Cruden, S, 1960, The Scottish castle, 97-99 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2085.
Simpson, W D, 1961, 'The castles of Duffus, Rait and Morton reconsidered', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 92 1958-9, p.10-14, 12-13 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1630.
RCAHMS, 1978, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region, 18, No. 136 (Text/Report). SHG2672.
Close-Brooks, J, 1986, Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands, 98-9, No. 44 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2053.
Love J, McMullen E (ed), 1994, A Salmon for the Schoolhouse, A Nairnshire Parish in the C19 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2425.
Related Monument/Building records
|MHG7030||Part of: Rait Castle (Monument)|
Related Investigations - none
Related documents/files/web pages