NH 664 467 A site at Longman Drive, Inverness, was evaluated in February 2006 for possible archaeological evidence in response to a planning condition. The site is within the Lotland Industrial Estate, N of the site of Cromwell's Fort, Inverness. On early maps this area is shown as open fields and unenclosed carse land along the shoreline. In 1874 it was used as a rifle range. Development started in this area with the creation of the Longman Airfield during the Second World War, which was later converted into a general industrial estate after being superseded by the present Inverness Airport. However, it had never been satisfactorily assessed archaeologically. Nine trial trenches were excavated representing a 7% sample of the planning application area. The site was found to have been stripped of contamination and covered with a layer of imported stone and clay material. No archaeological evidence was found. <1>
Text/Report: John Wood. Concrete Plant at Longman Drive, Inverness. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. . .
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred NH 6639 4670 (149m by 120m)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Aug 31 2016 10:44AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.