An archaeological watching brief was undertaken on preparation work on the site of two new houses. The remains of a prehistoric burial cairn were reported to lie in the vicinity of the application area. The site was found to have served as the King George V children’s playing field from 1936 to the early 1940s when it was taken over as a Royal Navy wartime camp of nissen huts.The alleged cairn was located within the development area and found not to be an archaeological feature, but an overgrown random pile of modern building material including rubble, brick and concrete which local memory confirms as being left over from the dismantling of the naval nissen huts in the early 1950s. The cairn was dismantled under archaeological supervision. No other traces of occupation or artefacts were found. <1>
Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robinson, H. 2010. Archaeological Watching Brief: Two New Houses and Shared Access to South of Salen Village Hall. Highland Heritage. Digital.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.