EHG4723 - Trial trenching - Fort William and Inverlochy Archaeological project
Glasgow University (GUARD)
In August and September 2007, the Centre for Battlefield Archaeology and Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD) conducted a programme of archaeological investigation of the remains of the old fort at Fort William, part of the Parade in the town of Fort William and the battlefield of Inverlochy. The fieldwork involved geophysical survey at the fort and the Parade (see EHG4351), followed by trial excavation of anomalies, and the metal detector survey of an area near Inverlochy Castle in search of remains of the battle fought there in 1645 (see EHG4724). The four trial trenches at the Parade exposed several rich midden deposits and material providing evidence for the burning of the town of Maryburgh, as suggested in contemporary accounts in 1746. The results from the five trenches at the fort were not so positive, as most traces of the garrison were removed in the C19 and C20 through its use as a railway yard; however, a trench outside the fort suggested survival of midden deposits pre-dating this period of destruction. This part-Heritage Lottery assisted project was a Highland 2007 initiative supported by Lochaber Community Fund and Highland Council, and included active participation on the part of the local community, including school groups and metal detectorists. <1>
- --- SHG27256 Text/Publication/Article: Pollard, T. 2008. The Archaeology of the Siege of Fort William, 1746. Journal of Conflict Archaeology Vol. 4. 189-230. Digital.
- <1> SHG23333 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Pollard, T. & Lelong, O.. 2007. Fort William and Inverlochy Archaeological Project (Historic Conflict in the Highlands). Glasgow University (GUARD). 09/01/2008. Paper and Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 1042 7417 (66m by 270m)|
|Operational Area||ROSS SKYE AND LOCHABER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
- MHG4196 Military fort and Governor's House - Fort William (Monument)
Record last edited
Jun 20 2016 1:31PM