EHG4868 - Excavation - Inverlochy Castle
Historic Buildings and Monuments Directorate
Inverlochy Castle is a late 13th-century castle located approximately 2km north of Fort William in the shadow of Ben Nevis. It lies on the south bank of the River Lochy, close to its confluence with Loch Linnhe. Excavations were carried out at several points aorund this site between 1983 and 1995. In 1983 the interior of the north-east tower and the area immediately outside its entrance were excavated; and part of what is believed to be an 18th-century building was uncovered against the outside face of the north curtain wall. In 1989 the interior of the south-west tower and the adjacent part of the courtyard were investigated. Exploratory trenching outside the south curtain wall in 1994 explored the relationship between a putative barbican and a stone-revetted terrace, perhaps a gun platform. Excavation at the north end of the courtyard in 1995 revealed traces of a building set against the north curtain wall and, within the north-west corner, a single human skeleton. <1>
|Location||Inverlochy Castle, Fort William|
|Grid reference||Centred NN 1204 7544 (113m by 49m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.