An archaeological walkover and metal-detecting survey and trench evaluation undertaken on Banquo’s Walk, located at Torcastle, near Fort William.
Banquo’s Walk, a wide, tree-lined avenue with parallel banks, has long been believed to have been formed as a ceremonial route associated with folklore attached to the nearby ruins of Tor-castle. However, the 8m-wide route, which ended abruptly at both ends, was located in line with no known sites or features. Combined with its extreme width and low-lying surface, the assumption of it construction as a road was brought into question.
Archaeological evaluation in November 2016, undertaken by Lochaber Archaeological Society and AOC Archaeology, revealed indeed that there was no road surface present within well-built banks defining “Banquo’s Walk”. Evaluation of the soil strata, which contained a thick natural layer of clay, revealed that the best possible explanation for its construction was for use in clay extraction. The fieldwork has dispelled 150 years of myth attached to the site. <1>
Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mary Peteranna. 2016. Archaeological Survey and Evaluation Data Structure Report - Banquo's Walk, Torcastle, near Fort William, Lochaber. AOC Archaeology Group. Digital.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Banquo's Walk, Torcastle
Centred NN 1350 7931 (239m by 381m)
ROSS SKYE AND LOCHABER
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Feb 27 2018 1:08PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.