MHG10117 - Carn Laggie Chambered Cairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
ND01NW 15 0230 1650.
Carn Laggie (NR) OS 25" map, (1970)
The cairn known as 'Carn Laggie' has in great measure been removed and there now remains a long low heap of small angular stones with a bank of broken road metal at one end. The whole is about 180' N-S by about 50ft.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
Further to RCAHMS (1911) description; about the centre of the S end and about 13ft within the cairn edge lies the stump of an upright stone, presumably part of the structure of a chamber. Though formerly believing that there were projecting horns at the S end of the cairn, Henshall now believes they are the result of interference. The cairn may have had a shallow forecourt which has been deepened by robbing and extended at the horns by projecting walls, now broken down. A few large boulders in line on the E side of the present 'forecourt' may be part of a kerb or facing wall, or maybe part of some more recent walling.
A S Henshall 1963; 1972.
As described except that the split top of another upright stone is visible within the cairn about 13m from N end and to E of centre.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 20 February 1968.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 24 June 1976.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 126, No. 355 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 312, SUT 17 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Henshall, A S, 1972, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2, 573-4, SUT 17 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG358.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 126, No. 355.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 312, SUT 17.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 573-4, SUT 17.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0230 1650 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7429 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.