MHG10138 - Roman Hoard, Helmsdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Late Iron Age - 2 AD to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Hoard of 7 bronze vessels was discovered in 1868 during railway works at Helmsdale. They lay about 1ft below surface. comprises five shallow bowls and two colanders. The shallow vessels are of a type which might have been in fashion for a long time. The smaller colander may be regarded as belonging to a type in vogue to about 150 AD. No example of a dish resembling larger ornate colander has been found in Scotland. Although nothing was found with vessels either to help date them or to show where they came from, decorative pattern of colander indicates Roman influence. The vessels are now preserved in Dunrobin Museum.
J Curle 1932; J M Joass 1886.
The precise findspot of these vessels cannot be ascertained. Two colanders and two bowls are on display in Dunrobin Museum. (Acc Nos. 1868.55-61) Visited by OS (NKB) 2 December 1976.
A group of continental and British copper alloy bowls and strainers, some of which were manufactured in 2nd century AD. Others may be later than this and it is possible that the group was not deposited until 3rd or 4th century AD.
R M Spearman 1991.
The NMS catalogue lists an electrotype copy of one of the bronze bowls from this site. It is listed under Acc. No. FT 99. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Joass, J M. 1886. 'Notice of a hoard of bronze vessels found, in 1868, near Helmsdale, Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 20 1885-6, p.214-18. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 214-18. 214-16; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Spearman, R M. 1991. 'The Helmsdale bowls, a re-assessment', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 120 1990, p.63-77; fiche 1: D1-10. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 63-77; fiche 1: D1-10. 63-77; fiche 1: D1-10.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Curle, J. 1932. 'An inventory of objects of Roman and provincial Roman origin found on sites in Scotland not definitely associated with Roman constructions', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 66 1931-2, p.277-397. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 277-397. 308-10; illust.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. FT 99.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0200 1500 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BOWL (Late Iron Age - 2 AD to 560 AD)
- HOARD (Late Iron Age - 2 AD to 560 AD)
- COLANDER (Late Iron Age - 2 AD to 560 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7451 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.