MHG10725 - Poulouriscaig Township


No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
  • FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Poulouriscaig is a township settled by people cleared from Strathnaver 1814-9 and deserted about 1943. It comprises roofless remains of seven buildings, kaleyards and enclosures, and areas of lazy-beds, all within an enclosing boundary wall. Most of the houses appear to date from late 19th century.
Visited by OS 15 July 1977.

The township comprising six roofed buildings and one unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet ix). There are seven unroofed buildings shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1962).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 14 August 1995.

The area was photographed during aerial surveys by RCAHMS in 2013, including an individual shot of the farmstead at NC76439 65603. See links below to HES Canmore records for photos. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NC 7652 6566 (487m by 484m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NC76NE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish FARR

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.