MHG10795 - Cross slab, Clynekirkton Churchyard
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS SLAB (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NC80NE0079 Clynekirkton Graveyard
NC80NE0013 Clynekirkton Belfry
NC80NE0017 Clynekirkton Church and Burial Ground
NC80NE0024 Clynekirkton Churchyard symbol stone
NC80NE0025 Clynekirkton Churchyard symbol stone
NC80NE0040 Clynekirkton Manse
NC80NE 17.3 8946 0607.
No. 3. The head of a Cross-slab of purple sandstone, sculptured on both sides, was found built into the east gable of Clyne Church in 1877. It was removed to Dunrobin Museum (1877.1). It measures 0.31m high by 0.33m wide by 0.10m thick.
Information from R Jones 1980.
Clynekirkton 3 (St Aloyne?), Sutherland, cross-slab fragment
Measurements: H 0.31m, W 0.33m, D 0.9m
Stone type: purple sandstone
Place of discovery: NC 8946 0607
Present location: Dunrobin Museum, Dunrobin Castle.
Evidence for discovery: found in 1877 re-used in the fabric of the east gable of Clyne Church (built in 1770) and taken to Dunrobin Museum.
Present condition: broken and worn, with some edge damage.
This fragment represents the top portion of a cross-slab, carved in relief and incision on one face only. The top has been dressed to a curve and the slab is edged by a roll moulding. The ringed cross-head is intact to just below the lower arcs of the ring, and the arms extend to meet the edge-moulding. The cross is outlined by a roll moulding, except for the ring which is indicated simply by incised arcs linking the arms. The terminals are rectangular, and there is a central square creating stepped armpits. The terminals each contain two pairs of linked spirals back to back, and the resultant C-shaped motif is echoed by four smaller C-shapes in the central square. There are spirals and bosses in the lower terminal/shaft. The ring and the background to the cross are plain, but below the lower part of the cross-head there are traces of diagonal key pattern.
Date: eighth or ninth century.
References: ECMS pt 3, 50-1.
Compiled by A Ritchie 2016, Early Medival Carved Stones Project
The symbol stone was catalogued during an inventory of Dunrobin Castle Museum's collection in 2019 by ARCH. Listed under Acc. No. 1877.1. It was on display on the lower floor. <1>
See link below to HES Canmore record for photography and sketches of the stone.
- --- SHG22642 Text/Publication/Volume: Close - Brooks, J.. 1989. Pictish Stones in DunRobin Castle Museum 1989. Close - Brooks, J. Pilgrim Press Ltd.. Paper (Original). pp. 15.
- <1> SHG28514 Collection/Finds Collection: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection At Dunrobin Castle Museum. 1877.1.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8945 0607 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6462 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.