MHG10849 - Symbol Stone - Craigton, now E of Dunrobin Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
- None recorded
NC80SE 2 8513 0093.
(NC 8513 0093) Symbol Stone (NR)
OS 6" map, (1964)
A Class I symbol stone, 6ft 2ins high, 2ft 4ins broad at base and about 1ft 3ins thick, bearing, on one face only, the 'crescent and V-rod', 'tuning-fork' and 'flower' symbols. It was dug up near the site of the former parish church (NH79NE 5) in, or shortly before, 1834, in which year it was standing a little to the east of Dunrobin Castle (NSA 1845) (Allen gives '1840').
NSA (written by Rev A MacPherson - 1834) 1845; J Anderson and J R Allen 1903.
A symbol stone as described, standing beside a walk in the wood.
Visited by OS (E G C) 4 April 1962.
As described by previous authorities.
Visited by OS (J M) 19 January 1976.
Medium grained, largely off-white but some reddish-brown mottling.
Found at 'Craigton' between Mound Station and Kirkton. NH 799 987 (NH79NE 5). Erected on a terrace east of Dunrobin Castle in 1840. (Acc No. 1840.1).
Information from R Jones 1980.
One Class I symbol stone - Craigton 1- showing a crescent and V-rod with a divided rectangle above and a flower below.
A.Mack 1997 pp.121
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. pt. 3, 41.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Close - Brooks, J.. 1989. Pictish Stones in DunRobin Castle Museum 1989. Close - Brooks, J. Pilgrim Press Ltd.. Paper (Original). pp. 13.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Jackson, A. 1984. The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 121.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol 15, Sutherland, 34.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 100, No. 292.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 13.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Stuart, J. 1856. Sculptured stones of Scotland. 1. 12; pl. 32.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8513 0092 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6524 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.