MHG10884 - Caves, Strath Steven Cove
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAVE (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) HERMITAGE (RELIGIOUS) (Undated)
- None recorded
The larger of the two caves was visited by Thomas Pennant in 1769. He refers to 'Straith-leven Cove', which is probably an earlier version of the name.
J Aitken : 26/1/04
Article by J Aitken on the Coves, 10/02. See Assoc. Docs. File
J Aitken : 25/10/02.
NC80SE 8 8841 0194.
(NC 8843 0194; NC 8840 0194) Caves (NR) OS 6"map, (1964)
At southern end of a small bay known as Strath Steven Cove, is a cave said to be abode of a hermit (Pococke 1887). Its entrance is some 25 feet above base of the cliff, easily accessible by steps cut in the rock. Cave measures some 18 feet across opening and is 15 feet deep. In back wall, two wide apertures give access to another chamber at a higher level. In the interior the rock has been cut out so as to form benches and seats and the walls bear marks of tools over a greater part of their surface. It has been excavated and half an amber bead found in it.
Some 40 yards south along the cliff at the same level is another cave of smaller dimensions and less accessible.
Pococke 1887; J Stuart 1870; RCAHMS 1911.
These two caves are generally as described by RCAHMS (1911).
The larger, to E, is roughly semi-circular with a roof height of about 3m. The other, irregular in plan, is 3m deep by 4m wide by 2.5m high, being entered through an opening 2m across by 1.3m high. The approaches are steep, rocky inclines, particulary to the latter, provided with much-worn footholds which, in the former's case, are replaced by well-cut steps just outside the entrance.
Resurveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (E G C) 7 April 1962 and (J M) 21 August 1975.
Stuart, J, 1870, 'Report to the committee of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, appointed to arrange for the application of a fund left by the late Mr A Henry Rhind, for excavating early remains', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.289-307, 292 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1407.
Kemp, D W (ed.), 1887, Tours in Scotland 1747, 1750, 1760, 166 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2624.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 103, No. 302 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stuart, J. 1870. 'Report to the committee of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, appointed to arrange for the application of a fund left by the late Mr A Henry Rhind, for excavating early remains', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.289-307. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 289-307. 292.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Kemp, D W (ed.). 1887. Tours in Scotland 1747, 1750, 1760. 166.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 103, No. 302.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8841 0194 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6558 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.