MHG10887 - Carved stone ball, Golspie Towers Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
- None recorded
A carved stone ball was found in 1933 during ploughing operations on farm of Golspie Towers. The ball is of grey porphyrite and has six prominent protuberances in high relief almost identical in size at 1.7ins in diameter and hemispherical in shape. The overall size equals two knob-diameters of 3.2ins.
J M Davidson 1940. <1>
A carved stone ball answering description given by Davidson is in Dunrobin Museum (Acc No: X37). Its provenance is not stated.
Visited by OS (N K B) 15 June 1976.
X37 in Dunrobin Museum, is a ball of brown sandstone with six high rounded knobs, much damaged, and c.2.8ins in diameter.
Information contained in TS of Catalogue of Dunrobin Museum by A S Henshall.
A photograph of the carved stone ball in Dunrobin Museum was submitted to the HER by a participant in a Community Timeline course, run by ARCH. There is a discrepancy between the description, dimensions and illustration given of the stone ball in <1> and the stone ball which is on display in Dunrobin Museum. This must make the identification of the stone ball (unprovenanced) in the museum as being the one reported by Davidson, tentative. <2><3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Davidson, J M. 1940. 'Notes on some antiquities from Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 74 (1939-40), pp 13-23. pp 20-1; figure 2.
- <2> Collection/Catalogue/Gazetteer: ARCH and Invidual Participants. 08/2010. Additional information on a number of sites, contributed by participants in ARCH Community Timeline Courses in Evanton and Golspie. Yes. Digital. CT-G 29.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Private individuals. 2010. Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie. Colour digital. Yes. Digital. Shirley Sutherland/ Penny Paterson.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8360 0084 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BALL (RITUAL) (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/PSAS_2002/pdf/vol_074/74_013_023.pdf (See article in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, available online)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6561 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.