MHG10938 - St Columba's Chapel, Kilchalumkill
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- HOLY WELL (Undated)
- CROSS (Undated)
- None recorded
NC80NE 1 8502 0906.
(NC 8502 0906) St. Columba's Chapel (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map, (1964)
Kilchalumkill seems to have been a consecrated place of interment. 'At some little distance from it a year or two ago a gentleman making out part of the high road, found a stone cross, which was immediately erected in the place where it was found and is still to be seen there'. OSA 1794.
The supposed site of St. Columba's Chapel no trace of which now remains. 'About AD 1825 some workmen employed collecting stones in the vicinity of the site of the chapel came upon a stone having a cross and other figures sculptured upon it. This stone was placed in a wall near to where it was found, but afterwards removed by some unknown party."
Name Book 1872.
Cill Chaluim Chille, St. Columba's Church, was one of the seven churches of Strathbrora. MacKay mentions an associated well dedicated to the saint. The property, under various spellings of the name, is on record from the 15th century.
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; A MacKay 1914; W J Watson 1926; A D S Macdonald and L R Laing 1973.
There are no definite traces of St. Columba's Church or Chapel. At the published site is the vague outline of a rectangular building, 15m by 4m, defined by a few boulders and damaged by vehicle tracks.
Other walling is evident. A few metres to the east is a spring, possibly St. Columba's Well, though this name is not known locally.
Visited by OS (E G C) 16 July 1961 and (N K B) 10 December 1975.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D (ed.). 1914. History of the Province of Caithness and Sutherland from the Earliest Times to 1615. 33.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 10, 304.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1926. The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916. 273-4.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 5, 11.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 723-7.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Macdonald and Laing, A D S and L R. 1973. 'Early ecclesiastical sites in Scotland: a field survey, part II', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 102 1969-70, p.129-45. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 129-45. 136.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8501 0906 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6451 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.